Bay Shore High School
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Bay Shore High School|
|155 Third Avenue|
Bay Shore, New York
|Motto||The Future Begins Not Here|
|School district||Bay Shore Schools|
|NCES School ID||360408000166|
|Faculty||137.03 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.05:1|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
Bay Shore High School is a public high school located in Bay Shore, New York. The school serves about 2,000 students in grades 9 to 12. It is part of Bay Shore Schools. Bay Shore High School is an International Baccalaureate school.
Bay Shore High School, which follows the New York State Syllabus, offers courses in the following areas: English, Cultural Arts, Mathematics and Computer Technology, Occupational Education, World Languages (Latin, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese and French), Science and Social Studies. Additionally, the high school offers an Honors Program, Humanities Program, Math/Science/Technology/Career Program, Advanced Placement Courses, a Law sequence (7 courses), and Project Adventure (a physical education program that builds teamwork and trust.) Bay Shore High School began offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program in 2009.
Extra-curricular Programs and Clubs
The high school offers an extensive array of extracurricular programs for students including AIDS Educators, Art Club, Awareness Weekend, Backstage Club, Bible Club, Brothers and Sisters Organization for Student Scholarships, (B.S.O.S.S.), Computer Club, Creative Writing Club, Dance Club, Environmental Club, Film Club, Freshman Leadership, Future Business Leaders of America, Gay/Straight Alliance, Gourmet Foods, Hip Katz, International Club, Junior Class, Marauder Yearbook, Maroon Echo, Men and Women of the Future, Mock Trial Team, National Art Honor Society, National Honor Society, Peer Support Help, Renaissance Club, Robotics Club, Science Olympiads, Senior Class, Service Honor Society, Set Design and Construction, Showstoppers, Sophomore Class, Spanish Conversation Club, String Ensemble, Student Council, Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Thespian Troupe, Thursday Night Jazz Project, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Trivia Club and Web Design Team. Chorus, Band and Orchestra are part of the curriculum.
A 3-season program of interscholastic athletics is offered with 30 varsity and 19 junior varsity teams. Bay Shore High School has won the New York State Softball Championship 7 years: 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2005 and 2010. The Girls’ Lacrosse Team, Girls’ Cross Country, Winter and Spring Track teams have won dozens of league and county titles as well as individual student national achievements. Field Hockey has been division champions for 4 of the last 5 years; Boys’ Golf team went undefeated in 2010. Other teams achieving post-season play include: Football, Boys’ Basketball, Boys’ Lacrosse, Boys’ Tennis, Boys’ Baseball, and Girls’ Tennis. The program also boasts 17 NYS Scholar-Athlete teams, 3 News 12 Scholar-Athletes, and a Dellacave Award Winner; Varsity Softball Coach was selected to the Suffolk County Hall of Fame in 2010, and the Health, Physical Education and Athletics Director was named Health and Physical Education Director of the Year by the Council of Administrators of the NYS Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. In 2017 Founded the First Esports team in New York State and Won two North American Championships.
Computers and Technology
Computer courses are taught on both Apple and Windows-based PC’s. Courses are offered in computer music theory application programming and multi-media. There is a recording studio accessible to all students to encourage original music composition. In addition, there are computer labs for writing and math, and Smartboard technology incorporated into some labs and classrooms.
- Harvey Milk, human rights activist, elected supervisor of District 5 of the City and County of San Francisco
- Duncan Niederauer, CEO of NYSE Euronext
- Brian Ehlers, former professional basketball player
- Judith Regan, publisher
- Robert Metcalfe, an electrical engineer who co-invented Ethernet, founded 3Com and formulated Metcalfe's Law.
- Corey Swinson, St. Louis Rams defensive tackle
- Amy Goodman, broadcast journalist, investigative reporter
- Ryan Cassata, singer-songwriter, American activist, public speaker 
- "Administration". Bay Shore Senior High School. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Bay Shore Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2011-08-16. "Total Students: 1,925 (2009-2010)"
- "Bay Shore High School". International Baccalaureate. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- "Bay Shore High School Fact Sheet 2011-12" (PDF).
- Randy Shilts. The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk, St. Martin's Press, 1982; pages 7-10.
- "O.J. book just another controversy for publisher". Associated Press. November 16, 2006. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- Pietaro, Joe (April 8, 2009). "Ex-NFL Lineman Corey Swinson Watches Over His Alma Mater". New York Sportsbeat. Archived from the original on 14 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- Lamb, Brian (June 6, 2004). "The Exception to the Rulers". Booknotes. C-SPAn. Archived from the original on January 21, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Ryan Cassata—Civil rights icon, fearless performer and headstrong teen". Long Island Pulse. 2012-03-23.