|District||Southwest Penang Island|
|• Local government||Penang Island City Council|
|• Mayor of Penang Island||Yew Tung Seang|
|• Pantai Jerejak State Assemblyman||Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (PKR)|
|• Bayan Baru Member of Parliament||Sim Tze Tzin (PKR)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||Not observed|
Bayan Baru is a residential neighbourhood within the city of George Town in the Malaysian state of Penang. It is located within the Southwest Penang Island District, adjacent to the Bayan Lepas Free Industrial Zone.
The township was created in the 1970s following the establishment of the zone. Since then, Bayan Baru has evolved into a booming neighbourhood, with various commercial and retail developments.
Bayan Baru was first developed by the Penang Development Corporation (PDC) in 1972, in tandem with the construction of the Bayan Lepas Free Industrial Zone. The creation of the new township was aimed at providing a housing area adjacent to the newly-built industries in Bayan Lepas, and erasing social and economic inequalities between the urban and rural inhabitants. The first residential developments in the area were in the form of landed properties, such as terraced houses and semi-detached houses.
The main road within Bayan Baru is Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, which forms part of the Gelugor Highway. The thoroughfare cuts through the neighbourhood, linking the southern George Town suburb of Gelugor to the north with Bayan Lepas to the south.
Several Rapid Penang bus routes serve the area, including 102, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 401, 401E and AT (Airport Transit). These routes connect the township with Penang's capital city, George Town, to the north, as well as various parts of Penang Island, such as the Penang International Airport, Batu Maung, Sungai Nibong and Gertak Sanggul. These routes are complemented by Rapid Penang's Congestion Alleviation Transport (CAT), a free-of-charge transit service within Bayan Baru.
In 2017, LinkBike, a public bicycle sharing service based in George Town, launched its southernmost station at Queensbay Mall, thus providing bikers with an alternative mode of transportation to the capital city.
The 190-bed Pantai Hospital is the sole hospital within Bayan Baru. The private hospital, established in 1997, is now managed under Parkway Pantai's group of hospitals and offers specialist treatments for a variety of medical conditions.
Completed in 2000, the SPICE Arena is one of the major sports venues in Penang, capable of hosting various indoor sports events, including squash, badminton and martial arts. It has also emerged as the preferred venue within Penang for meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions (MICE). The SPICE Arena was recently renovated and is now complemented in its role as a MICE venue by the GBI-certified SPICE Convention & Exhibition Centre, the world's first hybrid solar-powered convention centre.
Adjacent to the SPICE Arena, the SPICE Aquatics Centre not only serves as a venue for national and international aquatic sports events such as swimming and diving, it is also put to use as a community swimming facility when not in use for tournaments.
A number of shopping centres have been built within Bayan Baru to cater for a relatively sizeable catchment area, including shoppers from the surrounding areas such as Bayan Lepas, Batu Maung and Sungai Nibong.
- Sunshine Square
- Giant Bayan Baru Hypermarket
- D'Piazza Mall
- One Precinct
- Mayang Mall (to be redeveloped as GBS@Mayang)
Aside from these shopping centres within Bayan Baru proper, Queensbay Mall, the largest shopping mall in Penang, is situated nearby and serves the neighbourhood as well. The mall contains a variety of international brands, a cinema and various other entertainment options.
In recent years, the Penang state government has allocated a significant amount of investments to turn Bayan Baru into a centre for Business Processing Outsourcing (BPO). This includes the construction of Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC)-status buildings, such as SUNTECH Tower and One Precinct. In addition, the existing Mayang Mall will also be converted into a Global Business Services (GBS) centre, known as GBS@Mayang, by 2018. Indicative of Bayan Baru's potential as a centre for business services and outsourcing, Celestica, a Canadian multinational electronics firm, opened its GBS centre within One Precinct in 2016, thus joining a list of international firms already in Bayan Baru such as Keyence and Zurich Insurance.
- Peter Nijkamp, Amitrajeet A. Batabyal (2016). Regional Growth and Sustainable Development in Asia. Springer. ISBN 9783319275895.
- Sue-Ching Jou, Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao, Natacha Aveline-Dubach (2014). Globalization and New Intra-Urban Dynamics in Asian Cities. Taipei: National Taiwan University. ISBN 9789863500216.
- "George Town meliputi 'pulau', jelas Datuk Bandar" (PDF). Buletin Mutiara. 1 May 2015.
- Ooi, Kee Beng (2010). Pilot Studies for a New Penang. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies. ISBN 9789814279697.
- Shahril Cheah (October 2010). "Penang's development still depends on the PDC". Penang Monthly. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Buletin Mutiara". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "LinkBike is now available at Queensbay Mall - Queensbay Mall". Queensbay Mall. 2017-05-19. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "Link Bike". www.linkbike.my. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "Sekolah Kebangsaan Bayan Baru". Sekolah Kebangsaan Bayan Baru. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "SK SERI PERMAI - PULAU PINANG - Carian Sekolah Malaysia". www.sekolahmy.com (in Malay). Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "SMK RAJA TUN UDA - PULAU PINANG - Carian Sekolah Malaysia". www.sekolahmy.com (in Malay). Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "Johnson Lee's RM1mil gift to old school - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "About Us". www.pantai.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Pantai Hospital Penang". Penang Centre of Medical Tourism. 2016-01-21. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "One of Penang's most iconic landmarks, The Subterranean Penang International Convention and Exhibition Centre". www.setiaspice.com. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "Setia SPICE Convention Centre to hold maiden event in first weekend - Metro News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "SPICE Convention Centre runs on hybrid solar power - Metro News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "Adding fuel to shopping spree - Metro News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "D'Piazza Mall – JMB". www.dpiazzamall.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "One Precinct". Penang Property Talk. 2012-04-12. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Mall getting a makeover - Metro News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Penang property projects worth RM11.3b on hold". The Edge Markets. 2017-01-23. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Canadian company opens in Penang, offers 200 jobs". 2016-10-25. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Local Offices | KEYENCE Malaysia". www.keyence.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "One-stop services at insurance firm's new office in Penang - News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Hunza puts in motion plans to develop mega project - Business News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "DONE DEAL: Second storey of a three-storey shoplot at Quartermile, Bayan Baru, Penang". The Edge Markets. 2017-03-10. Retrieved 2017-12-12.