Bayero University Kano
|Ahmadu Bello College,|
Abdullahi Bayero College,
Bayero University College
|Motto||"وفوق كل ذي علم عليم"|
Motto in English
|"...and above every possessor of knowledge there is one more learned"|
|Established||4 October 1962|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Muhammad Yahuza Bello|
|Affiliations||NUC, ASUU, SSANU|
Bayero University Kano (BUK) is a university situated in Kano, Kano State, Nigeria. It was founded in 1977, when it was renamed from Bayero University College and upgraded from university college to university.
Bayero University initially bore the name Ahmadu Bello College, the college was named after Premier of Northern Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello. It was founded in January 1960 by the Northern Nigeria Ministry of Education headed by Isa Kaita to prepare senior secondary certificate holders for G.C.E. and A-level in Arabic, Hausa, Islamic History, Islamic studies and English Literature. Upon the establishment of Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Kaduna State, Ahmadu Bello College was renamed to Abdullahi Bayero College, after Abdullahi Bayero, Emir of Kano and soon thereafter it became a faculty of the new university.
Initially located on the grounds of the School of Arabic Studies near the palace of the Emir, the college moved to a location at the old Kano Airport Hotel, where it remained until March 1968, when it moved to Western Kano to make way for a military hospital (the Nigerian Civil War having started the previous year). The first students began their studies in February 1964, and they graduated in July 1966.
In 1975, the college became a university college, and was renamed Bayero University College, with Mahmud Tukur as principal. In 1977, the status was again changed, to that of university, and Bayero University became the name; Tukur became Vice-Chancellor. In 1980 the university ceased functioning as a faculty of its Zaria counterpart.
It has Faculties of Allied Health Sciences, Agriculture, Arts and Islamic Studies , Clinical Sciences, Education, Engineering, Law, Science, Earth and Environmental Studies, Pharmacy, Social, Management Science and the recent Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology. Research Centers include: Center for Advanced medical research, center for infectious diseases, center for Gender Studies, Center for Islamic Studies, Center for Dryland Agriculture, Center for Biotechnology Research, Center for Renewable Energy and Center for the Study of Nigerian Languages among others. The University also houses the International Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance (IIIBF), the only one in the country. It is located approximately 12.8 kilometers (roughly 8 miles) from the city along the Kano-Gwarzo Road.
List of leaders
SAS Principal (and director of college section)
- Aliyu Abubakar Dr, Aliyu Abubakar was born in Nafada in the present Gombe State in the year 1909. He attended University of London where he studied a bachelor of art degree in English language. After serving as a principal at the school of Arabic studies Kano, he also served as the first commissioner of Education in Bauchi State after its creation in 1976. He died in November 1987.
Provost of Abdullahi Bayero College
- Abdalla Eltayeb (1964-1966)
- Hamidu Alkali (September 1966-November 1969)
- S. A. S. Galadanchi (1969-1975)
Principal of Bayero University College
- Mahmud Tukur (September 1975 – 1977)
- Mahmud Tukur (1977-October 1977)
- J. O. C. Ezeilo (1978-1979)
- Ibrahim H. Umar (1979-1986)
- Dandatti Abdulkadir (1986 – 1990)
- M. Sani Zakraddeen1991-1995
- Bello Bako Dambatta (1995-1999)
- Musa Abdullahi (August 1999 - 2005)
- Attahiru Muhammad Jega (September 2005 – 2010)
- Abubakar Adamu Rasheed (June 2010 to 17 August 2015)
- Muhammad Yahuza Bello (Tuesday 18 August 2015 to date)
- Notable Faculty
- Notable Alumni
- Zaynab Alkali, renown author
- Mansur Dan Ali, Minister of Defence
- Farouk Lawan, politician
- Moses Ochonu, historian, author
- Yushau Shuaib, author
- Ahmad Sani Yerima, former Governor, Zamfara State
- Ibrahim Sheme, novelist, journalist, publisher
- Farooq Kperogi, author, columnist, journalism professor at Kennesaw State University
- Jamila Tangaza, journalist, former head, BBC Hausa
- Rabia Salihu Sa'id, physicist
- Holders of honorary degrees
- Abdullahi Bayero
- Murtala Mohammed
- Yusuf Maitama Sule
- Yayale Ahmed
- Nelson Mandela
- Muammar Gaddafi
- Theophilus Danjuma
- NUC. "List of Universities". Archived from the original on 26 April 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "History of Department of FAIS". BUK.edu.ng. Bayero University Kano. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "History of BUK". BUK.edu.ng. Bayero University Kano. Archived from the original on 14 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-29.
- "Faculty of Computer Sciences and Information Technology". csit.buk.edu.ng. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; Professor Emmanuel Akyeampong; Mr. Steven J. Niven (2 February 2012). Dictionary of African Biography. OUP USA. pp. 177–178. ISBN 978-0-19-538207-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bayero University.|