Bayero University Kano
|Ahmadu Bello College,|
Abdullahi Bayero College,
Bayero University College
|Motto||"وفوق كل ذي علم عليم"|
Motto in English
|"...and above every professor of knowledge there is one more learned"|
|Established||4 October 1962|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Sagir Adamu Abbas|
|Affiliations||NUC, ASUU, SSANU|
Bayero University Kano (BUK) is a university situated in Kano, Kano State, Nigeria. It was founded in 1975, when it was renamed from Bayero University College and upgraded from university college to university. It is the first university in Kano State.
Bayero University initially bore the name Ahmadu Bello College, the college was named after Premier of Northern Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello. It was founded in January 1960 by the Northern Nigeria Ministry of Education headed by Isa Kaita to prepare senior secondary certificate holders for G.C.E. and A-level in Arabic, Hausa, Islamic History, Islamic studies and English Literature. Upon the establishment of Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Kaduna State, Ahmadu Bello College was renamed to Abdullahi Bayero College, after Abdullahi Bayero, Emir of Kano and soon thereafter it became a faculty of the new university.
Initially located on the grounds of the School of Arabic Studies near the palace of the Emir, the college moved to a location at the old Kano Airport Hotel, where it remained until March 1968, when it moved to Western Kano to make way for a military hospital (the Nigerian Civil War having started the previous year). The first students began their studies in February 1964, and they graduated in July 1966.
In 1975, the college became a university college, and was renamed Bayero University College, with Mahmud Tukur as principal. In 1977, it was again given university status, and Bayero University became its name. Tukur became vice-chancellor. In 1980, the university ceased functioning as a faculty of its Zaria counterpart.
Bayero University has faculties for Allied Health Sciences, Agriculture, Arts, Islamic Studies, Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Education, Engineering, Communications, Dentistry, Law, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Earth, Environmental Sciences, Social, Management Science, Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology.
The research centers include: Center for Advanced Medical Research, Center for Infectious Diseases, Center for Gender Studies, Center for Islamic Studies, Center for Dryland Agriculture, Center for Biotechnology Research, Center for Renewable Energy and Center for the Study of Nigerian Languages among others. The university also houses the International Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance (IIIBF), the only of its kind in the country. The university is located approximately 12.8 kilometers (roughly 8 miles) from the city along the Kano-Gwarzo Road i.e along Janguza. There is another site at BUK Road.
List of leaders
SAS Principal (and director of college section)
- Aliyu Abubakar Dr. Aliyu Abubakar was born in Nafada in the present Gombe State in the year 1909. He attended University of London where he studied a bachelor of art degree in English language. After serving as a principal at the school of Arabic studies Kano, he also served as the first commissioner of Education in Bauchi State after its creation in 1976. He died in November 1987.
Provost of Abdullahi Bayero College
- Abdalla Eltayeb (1964–1966)
- Hamidu Alkali (September 1966 – November 1969)
- S. A. S. Galadanchi (1969–1975)
Principal of Bayero University College
- Mahmud Tukur (September 1975 – 1977)
- Mahmud Tukur (1975 – October 1977)
- J. O. C. Ezeilo (1977–1978)
- Ibrahim H. Umar (1979–1986)
- Dandatti Abdulkadir (1986–1990)
- M. Sani Zakraddeen (1990–1995)
- Bello Bako Dambatta (1995–1999)
- Musa Abdullahi (August 1999 – 2004)
- Attahiru Muhammad Jega (September 2004 – 2010)
- Abubakar Adamu Rasheed (June 2010 – 17 August 2015)
- Muhammad Yahuza Bello (Tuesday 18 August 2015 – 17 August,2020 )
- Sagir Adamu Abbas ( 17 August 2020 -Present )
- Abdalla Uba Adamu
- Stewart Brown
- Reginald Cline-Cole
- Hafsat Ganduje
- Abdulrazak Gurnah
- Mukhtar Atiku Kurawa
- Mansur Dan Ali, Minister of Defence
- Zaynab Alkali, author
- Abba Gumel, Professor of Mathematics, Arizona State University
- Mukhtar Shehu Idris, politician, Governor-elect of Zamfara State
- Farooq Kperogi, author, columnist, journalism professor at Kennesaw State University
- Farouk Lawan, politician
- Saleh Mamman, Nigerian minister of power
- Moses Ochonu, historian, author
- Rabia Salihu Sa'id, physicist
- Ibrahim Sheme, novelist, journalist, publisher
- Yushau Shuaib, author
- Jamilah Tangaza, journalist, former head of BBC Hausa
- Ahmad Sani Yerima, former governor, Zamfara State
Holders of honorary degrees
- Yayale Ahmed
- Abdullahi Bayero
- Theophilus Danjuma
- Muammar Gaddafi
- Nelson Mandela
- Murtala Mohammed
- Yusuf Maitama Sule
- NUC. "List of Universities". Archived from the original on 26 April 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "History of Department of FAIS". BUK.edu.ng. Bayero University Kano. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "History of BUK". BUK.edu.ng. Bayero University Kano. Archived from the original on 14 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-29.
- "Faculty of Computer Sciences and Information Technology". csit.buk.edu.ng. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; Professor Emmanuel Akyeampong; Mr. Steven J. Niven (2 February 2012). Dictionary of African Biography. OUP USA. pp. 177–178. ISBN 978-0-19-538207-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bayero University.|