Bayit VeGan (Hebrew: בית וגן, lit. House and Garden) is a neighborhood in southwest Jerusalem, Israel. Bayit VeGan is located to the east of Mount Herzl and borders the neighborhoods of Kiryat Hayovel and Givat Mordechai.
A 4,000 year old cemetery and many Canaanite artifacts were discovered in an archeological dig at the edge of Bayit Vegan. The cemetery covers an area of more than half an acre (0.2 hectare), and burials are believed to have taken place there mainly in the Bronze Age, in 2200-2000 BCE and 1700-1600 BCE. Excavations began in 1995 but the most interesting finds were discovered in 2005.
Bayit VeGan was the third neighborhood built in West Jerusalem in modern times.
A scale-model of the Second Temple designed by Prof. Michael Avi Yonah based on the writings of the Roman Jewish historian Josephus, was located for many years on the grounds of the Holyland Hotel in Bayit Vegan. In 2007, it was moved to the Israel Museum.
Religious institutions and schools
Many religious institutions and schools are located in Bayit VeGan, among them Ateret Yisrael Yeshiva, Kol Torah Yeshiva, Yeshiva University's Gruss Kollel, Yeshivat Torat Shraga, Tiferet Yerushalayim, Michlalah Jerusalem College for Women, Seminar Yerushalayim HaChadash, Yad Harav Herzog, Himmelfarb High School, Boys Town Jerusalem, and Netiv Meir Yeshiva High School. The Amshinover Rebbe has his court in Bayit Vegan, on Rabbi Frank Street. The Boyar School, a secular high school for gifted students from all over the country, is also located in Bayit VeGan.
Shaare Zedek Medical Center is located at the entrance to Bayit VeGan.
Hotels and guesthouses
- 4,000-Year-Old Tombs Found Near Jerusalem Mall
- Dig at Jerusalem's infamous Holyland Hill uncovers bronze-age dwellings
- Migdal Synagogue
- "Shekhunat Bayit Vegan," Itzik Shweiki, Yarok Beyerushalim, Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel, 2007, p.20 ,
- "Shekhunat Bayit Vegan," Itzik Shweiki, Yarok Beyerushalayim, Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel, 2007, p.20 ,
- About Tiferet Yeshivat Tiferet Yerushalayim
- Michlalah Jerusalem College for Women
- Learning Together Residential Education/Boarding School Programs Jewish Virtual Library
- Only a makeshift shrine reminds one of the blast, Jerusalem Post
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bayit VeGan.|