Bayonne Medical Center
|Bayonne Medical Center|
|Location||29th Street & Avenue E, Bayonne, Hudson County, New Jersey, United States|
|Emergency department||Community Perinatal Center|
|Lists||Hospitals in New Jersey|
CarePoint Health Bayonne Medical Center is a hospital in Bayonne, New Jersey. It has 278 beds and was founded in 1888. One of six hospitals in Hudson County, the Bayonne Medical Center is affiliated with Hoboken University Medical Center and Christ Hospital, which are also operated by the for-profit organization Hudson Hospital Opco.
The hospital became the subject of media coverage in 2013 when, in the midst of nationwide controversy over inconsistent hospital charges, The New York Times reported that the hospital "charged the highest amounts in the country for nearly one-quarter of the most common hospital treatments", which the Times associated with its 2008 restructuring after being acquired out of bankruptcy the previous year. In the same, the hospital was ordered to award a "whistleblower" $2.1 million for being fired.
Bayonne Medical Center entered the national spotlight again in 2014, when an investigative news team at NBC 4 New York reported that the hospital charged a New Jersey teacher nearly $9,000 USD to bandage his middle finger. In 2015 a follow-up investigation covered the story of a Bayonne resident who was charged over $17,000 for stitches on a two-inch cut.
- Ferrer, Ana M. (March 21, 2013). "Hudson County's six hospitals look to build on the successes of 2012 in 2013". The Jersey Journal. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Renshaw, Jarrett (October 4, 2011). "Bayonne Medical Center could shut out some Medicaid recipients under new agreement with insurance company". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "CarePoint Health Launches in Hudson County, New Jersey". Business Wire. May 6, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- Guglielmo, Wayne (October 15, 2012). "Combine or Decline". New Jersey Monthly. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Hack, Charles (June 29, 2012). "Christ Hospital's new owners sever contracts with all insurers except Horizon Blue Cross". The Jersey Journal. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- "Bayonne Medical Center: Why this New Jersey hospital is the costliest in US - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2013-05-18. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- Creswell, Julie; Barry Meier; Jo Craven McGinty (May 16, 2013). "New Jersey Hospital Is the Costliest in the Nation". New York Times. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Conti, Michaelangelo (May 19, 2013). "'Whistleblower' awarded $2.1 million in case against Bayonne Medical Center". The Jersey Journal.
- Livio, Susan K. (January 6, 2014). "Report: N.J. hospitals most expensive in the U.S. and Meadowlands hospital is at the top". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Glorioso, Chris. "I-Team: New Jersey Hospital Charges Man Nearly $9,000 to Bandage Cut Finger". www.nbcnewyork.com/investigations. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Hospital Charges $17,000 to Stitch a 2-Inch Cut". NBC New York. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
|This article relating to a hospital in New Jersey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|