Bazaarvoice is a digital marketing company based in Austin, Texas. It provides software that allows retailers to add customer reviews to their websites. Previously traded on the NASDAQ, the company was taken private in an acquisition in 2018.
Bazaarvoice was founded in 2005 by Brett Hurt. It went public on the NASDAQ in February 2012 and was the fifth best performing IPO of that year. Bazaarvoice was investigated for antitrust by the DOJ in 2013 for its acquisition of its competitor, PowerReviews. In 2014 it agreed to sell PowerReviews to Wavetable Labs for $30 million.
In 2018, the company was taken private after being purchased by Marlin Equity Partners. It was officially de-listed from the NASDAQ in February 2018 after the completion of the acquisition. Debt financing for the $521 million deal was provided by Golub Capital.
Bazaarvoice markets software for product reviews, allowing retailers to add reviews, ratings, and customer generated content such as videos to their website.
- Hawkins, Lori (20 November 2013). "Bazaarvoice makes CEO change". MyStatesman. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- Gara, Tom (10 January 2013). "Is There A Monopoly In Social Media? The DOJ Thinks So". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Benoit, David (24 May 2012). "Bazaarvoice, One of 2012′s Best IPOs, to Buy Rival". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Gara, Tom (11 January 2013). "Bazaarvoice Responds To DOJ Monopoly Claims". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Ha, Anthony (4 June 2014). "After Antitrust Suit, Bazaarvoice Sells PowerReviews To Review Site Viewpoints For $30M". TechCrunch. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Anderson, Will (21 January 2018). "Austin tech luminary to quit Bazaarvoice after $521M buyout". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Barr, Greg (29 January 2018). "California private equity firm completes buyout of Austin's Bazaarvoice". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Kang, Jaewon (27 February 2018). "Golub Provides $245 Million to Back Marlin Equity's Bazaarvoice Deal". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Evans, Dave (2012). Social Media Marketing. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781118240540. Retrieved 16 May 2018.