Bazetta Township, Trumbull County, Ohio
|Bazetta Township, Trumbull County, Ohio|
Southern end of Mosquito Creek Lake
Location of Bazetta Township in Trumbull County
|• Total||24.5 sq mi (63.4 km2)|
|• Land||21.0 sq mi (54.4 km2)|
|• Water||3.5 sq mi (8.9 km2)|
|Elevation||955 ft (291 m)|
|• Density||300.0/sq mi (115.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|ZIP code||44410 44481|
|GNIS feature ID||1087022|
Located at the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Mecca Township - north
- Johnston Township - northeast corner
- Fowler Township - east
- Vienna Township - southeast corner
- Howland Township - south
- Warren Township - southwest corner
- Champion Township - west
- Bristol Township - northwest corner
Most of the city of Cortland is located in northeastern Bazetta Township.
Name and history
The etymology of the name Bazetta is uncertain. It is the only Bazetta Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Trumbull County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press. p. 10.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.