Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché
|Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy−Blaché|
|Directed by||Pamela B. Green|
|Narrated by||Jodie Foster|
|Music by||Peter G. Adams|
|Edited by||Pamela B. Green|
Be Natural Productions
|120 minutes, (original cut)|
103 minutes (final cut)
Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché is a 2018 documentary about the first female filmmaker Alice Guy-Blaché, directed by Pamela B. Green. It was screened out of competition at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival in the Cannes Classics category. It was nominated for the festival's L'Œil d'or documentary prize. Be Natural went on to screen at Telluride, Deauville American Film Festival, New York Film Festival, and London BFI Film Festival.
Narrated by Jodie Foster, Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché is a two-hour feature documentary investigating the full scope of the life and work of cinema's first female director, screenwriter, producer, and studio owner Alice Guy-Blaché.
Reviews for the version of the film screened at Cannes were generally positive, with Deadline's Pete Hammond claiming it to be perhaps "The Best (And Least-Seen) Film in Cannes." Overall, critics positively reviewed the film. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 96% approval rating based on 46 reviews. Reviewing for The Hollywood Reporter, Leslie Felperin considered that Be Natural "represents a timely contribution to the international conversation about the challenges facing women filmmakers while also boosting the reputation of someone who really should be better known by now as a role model. As a teaching and consciousness-raising tool, it will be an indispensable resource." A. O. Scott for The New York Times wrote, "Be Natural is inspiring because it is also appalling."
In a less positive review, Jay Weissberg wrote in Variety: "there's that title, The Untold Story, which ignores a number of earlier documentaries not to mention the significant amount of scholarship on pioneering filmmaker Alice Guy-Blaché. ... These are what can be called inconvenient truths, for Pamela B. Green, director of Be Natural, is on a mission to discover why—supposedly—no one has ever heard of Alice Guy-Blaché."
- "Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved September 20, 2019.
- "Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché (2019)". The Numbers. IMDb. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- "Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blanché - Festival de Cannes". Festival de Cannes. Archived from the original on 2018-06-29. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "2018 Competition". www.scam.fr.
- "Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché - Film, Trailer, Kritik". www.kino-zeit.de. Archived from the original on 2018-07-10. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Be Natural: The untold story of Alice Guy-Blaché". Kickstarter. Archived from the original on 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- Hammond, Pete (May 14, 2018). "Why 'Be Natural', The Documentary About The First Female Director, May Be The Best (And Least-Seen) Film In Cannes". Archived from the original on 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "Be Natural - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 24, 2019.
- "'Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blache': Film Review - Cannes 2018". hollywoodreporter.com. Archived from the original on 2018-08-17. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Scott, A. O. (April 25, 2019). "'Be Natural' Review: Rescuing Alice Guy Blaché, a Film Pioneer, From Oblivion". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- Weissberg, Jay (31 May 2018). "Film Review: 'Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché'". variety.com. Retrieved 5 October 2018.