Beach handball is a team sport where two teams pass and bounce a ball, trying to throw it in the goal of the opposing team. The game is similar to team handball, but it is played on sand instead of in a sports hall. Matches are played in two or three sets, depending on when a team wins their second set of the game. If the goalkeeper scores a goal this counts as two points, compared to a normal goal scored by an outfield player which counts as 1 point. Creative or spectacular goals are awarded with two points, as well as inflights and 6 meter throws.
The official rules of Beach Handball is internationally made in 2002. The first European Championships was played in the year 2000.
As of September 2014[update], Brazil is ranked the number 1 country in the world, and is the winner of the world championship in both men's and women's divisions at the 2014 Beach Handball World Championships.
- World Men's Beach Handball Championship
- World Women's Beach Handball Championship
- European Beach Handball Championship
- Beach handball at the World Games
- Pan American Beach Handball Championship
- "Beach Handball Carnival on the beach of Recife". ihf.info. 2014-07-27.