Beachwood City Schools
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
|Beachwood City Schools|
|Type||Public school district|
|School board||Beachwood Board of Education|
|Faculty||130.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||PK to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.4|
|Also called||Beachwood City School District|
Beachwood City Schools is a public school district that serves Beachwood, Ohio. The district is composed of about 1,500 students from pre-kindergarten to 12th grade. It encompasses the Fairmount Early Childhood Center, Bryden Elementary, Hilltop Elementary, Beachwood Middle School and Beachwood High School. The current superintendent of the schools is Robert Hardis.
Board of Education
Beachwood's current school board members are:
- Mitchel E. Luxenberg, President
- Dr. Brian Weiss, Vice President
- Steve Rosen
- Joshua Mintz
- Michael Zawatsky
Organization of schools
- Fairmount Early Childhood Center: pre-kindergarten
- Bryden Elementary School: K through 2nd grade
- Hilltop Elementary School: 3rd through 5th grade
- Beachwood Middle School: 6th through 8th grade
- Beachwood High School: 9th through 12th grade
- Ed Klein, Principal
- Ryan Patti, Assistant Principal
Achievements and information
The schools have a gifted program (Horizons) and make accommodations for children with disabilities. Solely Beachwood, Ohio residents are permitted to learn at the schools, however there are private schools as well. The Middle School allows the students to have their own laptops with an innovative 1-to-1 laptop policy. The orchestra and band classes offered are only available to Hilltop students and up, while Choir is offered at grades 6 and up. The high school and middle school have been awarded Blue Ribbons of Excellence and the middle school has been called an Apple "Success Story" because of its laptop program. This program lets the students keep their own laptops for their middle school career.
- Marc Cohn (born July 5, 1959), singer-songwriter known for his song "Walking in Memphis."
- Terren Peizer, Financier, Class of 1977
- Jonathan Goldstein, Screenwriter, Class of 1986
- Jennifer Wylde, On air radio talent, Class of 1988
- Farley Cahen, Founder, CEO Dolce Ventures, LLC, Class of 1988
- Stephen Fowler, American Idol contestant
- Josh Mandel, Treasurer of the State of Ohio.
- Cindy Chiang, Amazing Race Season 19 Winner, Class of 1999
- Board of Education. Beachwood City School District. Retrieved on 2008-07-15.
- "Beachwood City". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
Students: 1496 (2005-2006)
- "Ernie and Cindy claim million prize on 'Race'". The Wall Street Journal.