From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up beacon in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The word beacon can refer to several things:
- Beacon, traditionally a fire lit on a hill to attract attention.
- Electric beacon, a type of beacon used with direction finding equipment to find one's relative location.
- Aerodrome beacon, a lighting device which indicates the location of a civilian airport.
- Distress radiobeacon, a tracking transmitter that aids in the detection and location of boats, aircraft, and/or persons in distress.
- Beacon mode service, a simple signal that some space probes use to indicate their status.
- Web beacon, used to track a user's visit of web pages.
- Belisha beacon, a flashing light atop a black-and-white pole placed at pedestrian crossings.
- Beacon (Facebook), a part of Facebook's Ads system that collects and publishes activities of its users from external websites.
- Beacon frame, one of the management frames in IEEE 802.11 based WLANs.
- Beacon (supercomputer), an Appro International, Inc. Xtreme-X Supercomputer named Beacon, deployed by NICS of the University of Tennessee, which tops the current Green500 list.
- Beacon Corner, Alberta
- Beacon Heights, Edmonton
- Beacon Hill, Saskatchewan
- Beaconia, Manitoba
- Beaconsfield, Quebec
- United Kingdom
- Barr Beacon, West Midlands
- Beacon, Devon
- Beacon End, Essex
- The Beacon Way
- Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire
- The Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales
- Dunkery Beacon, Somerset
- Ivinghoe Beacon, Buckinghamshire
- Worcestershire Beacon
- United States
- Beacon Communications (publisher), a publisher of weekly newspapers in Rhode Island
- Beacon Communications Corporation, a defunct newspaper publisher in Massachusetts
- Beacon Pictures, formerly Beacon Communications, an American film production company
- Beacon, a discount gas station brand owned by Valero Energy Corporation
- The Beacon (disambiguation)
- MV Beacon, a British coaster
- Beacon (comics)
- Beacon (Metro-North station)
- Beacons, an album by Ohbijou
- Beacon, a studio album by Northern Irish indie rock band Two Door Cinema Club
- a 6-rowed malting barley variety
- Beacon sandstone, a rock formation found in Antarctica.
- Beacon Supergroup, a rock formation found in Antarctica.
- Beacon Fell (disambiguation)
- Beacon Hill (disambiguation)
- Beacon Island (disambiguation)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Beacon.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.