Beacon Hill Institute
|Type||Nonprofit think tank|
|Focus||State tax policy|
|Headquarters||8 Ashburton Place on Beacon Hill|
|David G. Tuerck|
The Beacon Hill Institute (BHI) is the research arm of the Department of Economics at Suffolk University in Boston. It was founded in 1991 by businessman Ray Shamie. The institute, which is fiscally conservative, draws on faculty and student resources to analyze issues. They distribute research to interested citizens and to opinion leaders and policy makers through various print and electronic media, including its quarterly newsletter, BHI NewsLink; policy studies; BHI FaxSheets; policy forums; opinion editorials; radio and TV interviews; and its web site.
The institute describes itself as "grounded in the principles of limited government, fiscal responsibility and free markets", and has received funding from foundations such as the Castle Rock Foundation and the Bradley Foundation.[unreliable source?]
BHI specializes in the development of economic and statistical models for policy analysis. These include STAMP and LAMP, computer generalized equilibrium models, that are frequently used in BHI analysis of state and local tax policy issues.
The Beacon Hill Institute produced reports on the projected economic impact of proposed clean energy policies in Maine. The reports were cited by Maine Governor Paul LePage, and criticized by some environmental advocacy groups.
BHI submitted a grant proposal to the Searle Freedom Trust in 2013 to study climate regulations. Suffolk University issued a statement saying BHI had not consulted its host university about the grant proposal and that it would not have authorized the grant proposal as conceived by BHI. However the university continues to support BHI's efforts by approving similar grant applications resulting in similar studies.
- "Report calling for civilian flaggers to replace police stirs up a hornet's nest". SouthCoastToday.com. 2004-11-21. Retrieved 2007-12-07.
- About Beacon Hill Institute
- "Mission and Vision". Beacon Hill Institute. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- "Media Transparency.org's listing for the Beacon Hill Institute". Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Skeptics blast study making energy claims.". Portland Press Herald. 2012-11-26. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Free-market research group's climate proposal denounced by host university". The Guardian. 2013-12-05. Retrieved 2014-11-04.