Beaconhouse National University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Seal of Beaconhouse National University
|Vice-Chancellor||Shahid Hafeez Kardar|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
35 acres (14 ha) (Tarogil, main campus)
|Newspaper||The BNU Gazette|
BNU offers study programmes in visual design and arts, architecture, liberal arts, computer information technology and mass communication. It is a member of the Higher Education Commission and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
Beaconhouse National University also organise Pakistan's largest university level festival, Commonly known as 'Bestival'.
- 1 Schools and departments
- 1.1 Mariam Dawood School of Visual Arts & Design
- 1.2 Razia Hassan School of Architecture
- 1.3 School of Media and Mass Communication
- 1.4 Seeta Majeed School of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences (SLASS)
- 1.5 School of Computer & Information Technology (SCIT)
- 1.6 Institute of Psychology (IP)
- 1.7 School of Education
- 2 Faculty
- 3 Societies
- 4 Awards
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 References
Schools and departments
Mariam Dawood School of Visual Arts & Design
The School of Visual Arts & Design (SVAD) is the oldest department at BNU and consists of seven departments.
- The Department of Fine Art offers an undergraduate program of BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in Visual Arts.
- The Department of Jewelry & Accessory Design offers an undergraduate program of B.Des (Bachelor of Design) in Jewelry & Accessory Design.
- The Department of Photography offers an undergraduate program of BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in Photography.
- The Department of Textile Design, Fibre & Fashion Studies offers two undergraduate programs leading to a B.Des (Bachelor of Design) in Textile & Fibre Studies or a B.Des (Bachelor of Design) in Fashion & Fibre Studies.
- The Department of Visual Communication Design offers an undergraduate program of BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in Visual Communication Design.
- The Department of Art History & Critical Studies offers an undergraduate program of BA (Hons) Double Major in Fine Arts and History of Art.
- The Centre For Art & Design Education & Research offers two postgraduate programs leading to a MA (Masters) in Art & Design Studies and a MA (Masters) in Art Education.
Razia Hassan School of Architecture
The Razia Hassan School of Architecture (SA) led by Dean Dr. Gulzar haider began in 2004. It offers a five-year undergraduate program leading to a B.Arch. (Bachelor of Architecture) degree and a two-year postgraduate program leading to a M. Arch. (Master of Architecture) degree.
School of Media and Mass Communication
The School of Media and Mass Communication (SMC) consists of the Department of Theatre, Film & Television and the Department of Journalism.
- The Department of Theatre, Film & Television offers a BA (Hons) in Social Sciences with major in Theatre, Film & TV Studies
- The Department of Journalism offers one undergraduate program and three postgraduate programs. BA (Hons) in Social Sciences with major in Media Studies, MA in Mass Communication, MS Public Relations & Advertising and M. Phil Mass Communication.
Seeta Majeed School of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences (SLASS)
The Seeta Majeed School of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences (SLASS) consists of the Department of Liberal Arts and the Department of Economics.
- The Department of Liberal Arts offers an undergraduate program leading to a BA (Hons) in Social Sciences with major in Liberal Studies.
- The Department of Economics offers two undergraduate programs leading to a B.Sc (Hons) in Banking and Finance and a B.Sc (Hons) in Economics.
School of Computer & Information Technology (SCIT)
School of Computer & Information Technology (SCIT) offers three undergraduate programs leading to a BSc (Hons) in Management and Business Computing, BSc (Hons) in Finance and Business Computing and BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering as well as a postgraduate program leading to a MS in Business Information Technology.
Institute of Psychology (IP)
The Institute of Psychology was established in 2004 and offers one undergraduate, one doctorate and six postgraduate programs.
- B.Sc (Hons) in Applied Psychology.
- M.Sc in Counseling Psychology
- M.Sc in School and Educational Psychology
- M.Sc in Clinical Psychology
- M.Sc in Organizational and Business Psychology
- MS Clinical and Counseling Psychology
- M. Phil Applied Psychology
The School of Education offers a PHD Program with specialization in the following areas of psychology:
- Clinical Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- School and Educational Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
School of Education
The School of Education (SE) was established in 2005 and offers four postgraduate programs leading to M. Phil in Education, M. Phil in Educational Leadership and Management, M. Phil in Teaching English as a Second Language and M. Phil in Linguistics.
BNU has a 92 full-time and 150 adjunct faculty members including:
- Nayyar Ali Dada, architect.
- Tariq Rahman, academic, columnist and intellectual, known for his work in the field of linguistics.
BNU has student-driven societies, clubs and associations that work under the tutelage of the student affairs office. Societies and clubs at BNU include:
- The Maya Tree
- Student Association for Human Rights and Social Change
- Sports Department
- Music Society
- Photographic Society
- Dramatics Society (BeaDS)
- Adventure Society
- Character Building Society
- Debating Society
- Media Club
- Model United Nations (BNUMUN)
- Plan9 Entrepreneurial Society (BP9)
- Volunteer Society (BVS)
- Performing Arts Society (Char Gram)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) BNU Student Branch
- Table Tennis Society
- Flash Mob Society
BNU was given, in February 2008, the highest status (Category 'W') by the Higher Education Commission in its ranking of universities in Pakistan.
- Jimmy Khan, musician
- Taimoor Salahuddin, comedian and musician
- Mehreen Murtaza, artist
- Basir Mehmood, artist
- Dost Muhammad Khosa, politician
- Zaineb Siddiqui, art curator
- Sanam Saeed, theatre, television and film actor
- Fahd Hussayn, fashion designer
- Shehzil Malik, art director
- Soraya Sikander, artist
- Kubra Khademi, fine artist
- Ghulam Mustafa, fine artist
- Rahma Ali, musician
- Salman Ahmed Khan, film actor (Zinda Bhaag)
- Azeem Hamid, theatre director
- Gohar Rasheed, theatre, television and film actor
- Haroon Shahid, lead vocalist of pop rock band SYMT
- Rahma Ali, actress and musician
- Usman Azhar, journalist
- Talaal Burny, co founder Travly
- Murtaza Nasir, COO Cambiar News
- Fatima Hassan, E-Commerce Solutions
- Ghulam Mohammad, artist
- Zara Abbas, actress
- Ghalib Khalil, co-founder Azaad of Pakistan
- Roshanay Asif Sheikh,co-founder of Azaad Pakistan
- Zara Peerzada, model
- Asad Tanveer, event manager
- Saheefa Jabbar Khattak, model
- Mahnur Khan, model
- Resham Virk, anchor person
- Hussain Tiwana, actor/producer