Beaker (web browser)
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Screenshot of the Beaker browser on Windows 10
|Developer(s)||Blue Link Labs.|
|Initial release||1 August 2017|
|Operating system||Linux, Microsoft Windows, macOS|
|Type||Open-source web browser|
Beaker is a free and open-source web browser currently in development by Blue Link Labs. Beaker Browser peer-to-peer technology allows users to self-publish websites and web apps directly from the browser, without the need to set up and administrate a separate web server or host their content on a third-party server. All files and websites are transferred using Dat, a hypermedia peer-to-peer protocol which allows files to be shared and hosted by several users. The browser also supports the HTTP protocol to connect to traditional servers.
Files stored in a local folder can be published as a Dat website and made accessible to other users through the peer-to-peer protocol.
The files are seeded from the local folder while the browser is active. To make them also available while the browser is closed, the user may use several alternative options to host the content:
- Ask other users of the browser to share a copy. The content will be accessible as long as any of the users are using the Beaker browser.
- Publish the content through a third-party server.
- Create a permanent self-hosted homebase server for the Dat protocol, and publish the content in it.
- "Beaker is a more powerful browser, for a more powerful Web". Beaker browser. Retrieved 24 Jul 2018.
- "Beaker v0.8.8 is now available for download". Blue Link Labs. 2019-02-07. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- Faife, Corin (13 July 2017). "A New Browser Is Making Peer-to-Peer Web Hosting More User-Friendly". Vice.
- "Blue Link Labs". bluelinklabs.com. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- "beakerbrowser/beaker". GitHub. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- "Peer-to-peer Web applications". beakerbrowser.com. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- "Dat Protocol". www.datprotocol.com. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- "Project of the Week: Beaker Browser | Electron Blog". electronjs.org. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "All about seeding". beakerbrowser.com. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- GitHub - beakerbrowser/homebase: Self-deployable tool for seeding dat:// websites., Beaker Browser, 2019-07-30, retrieved 2019-07-31