Bean yellow mosaic virus
|Bean yellow mosaic virus (BYMV)|
|BYMV affected Canna (plant)|
|Group:||Group IV ((+)ssRNA)|
|Species:||Bean yellow mosaic virus|
bean virus 2
Bean yellow mosaic virus (BYMV) is a plant pathogenic virus  in the genus Potyvirus and the virus family Potyviridae. Like other members of the Potyvirus genus, BYMV is a monopartite strand of positive-sense, single-stranded RNA surrounded by a capsid made for a single viral encoded protein. The virus is a filamentous particle that measures about 750 nm in length. This virus is transmitted by species of aphids and by mechanical inoculation.
Geographic Distribution and Host Range
A mosaic disease, believed to be BYMV, was first reported in the early 1900s infecting garden peas (Pisum sativum) in the Northeastern United States. Today the virus is believed to be distributed worldwide.
In addition to peas this virus is known to infect many other legumes (family Fabaceae) including green beans (Phaseolus vulgaris), peanuts (Arachis hypogaea), soybeans (Glycine max), Faba beans (Vicia faba), several species of clover (Trifolium hybridum, T. vesiculosum, T. incarnatum, T. pratense, T. repens, T. subterraneum), alfalfa (Medicago sativa), vetch (Vicia sativa), lupine (Lupinus luteus), Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia), Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum),and Crotalaria spectabilis.
- About Plant Viruses
- Plant Virus Descriptions
- Doolittle, S.P. and Jones, F.R. (1925). Phytopathology 15: 763
- Pierce, W.H. (1934). Phytopathology 24: 87
- Bays, D.C. and Demski, J.W. (1986). Plant Dis. 70: 667 Archived May 15, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Ghabrial, S.A., Pickard, C.M. and Stuckey, R.E. (1977). Identification and Distribution of Virus Diseases of Soybean in Kentucky. Pl. Dis. Reptr 61: 690
- Corbett,M. K. (1958) A Virus Disease of Lupines caused by Bean Yellow mosaic virus. Phytopathology 48:86-91
- Strains of Bean Yellow Mosaic Virus Compared to Clover Yellow Vein Virus in Relation to Gladiolus Production in Florida. Nagel, J., Zettler, F.W. and Hiebert, E. (Phytopathology 73:449,1983.)[permanent dead link]
- Symptoms of BYMV in Bean
- Virual Inclusions of BYMV