Brown County's location in Indiana
|Elevation||735 ft (224 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||430609|
Beanblossom, also spelled Bean Blossom, is an unincorporated community in Jackson Township, Brown County, Indiana. The town was named for the nearby Beanblossom Creek, which was in turn named for a person whose surname was Beanblossom.
Beanblossom was originally called Georgetown, for George Grove who ran a grist mill in the area and under the latter name was founded in 1833. The first post office in the community was established as Bean Blossom in 1842; the post office was discontinued in 1911.
Bean Blossom is best known as the home of the Bill Monroe Memorial Music Park and Campground, a 55-acre (220,000 m2) wooded campground which for more than 60 years has hosted music performances (mostly country and bluegrass), first at the Brown County Jamboree barn and currently at outdoor stages. source (http://www.billmonroemusicpark.com/?page_id=59 Bill Monroe Memorial Music Park and Campground Official Website. "History" posted Jan 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.) A bluegrass festival (currently called the Bill Monroe Memorial Festival) has been held every June since 1967 and is the longest continuously-running bluegrass festival in the world. source: (www.beanblossom.us Bill Monroe Memorial Music Park Official Bean Blossom Site. "Welcome" page. posted January 18, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Beanblossom, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2007-04-20.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 61. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
This village was platted in 1833 and first named Georgetown...
- "Brown County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- Adler, Thomas (2011). Bean Blossom: The Brown County Jamboree and Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Festivals. Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press. ISBN 978-0-252-03615-6.
- Inman, N. Carol (1991). The Origins of 1001 Towns In Indiana. Indiana State Historical Association.