|Directed by||Kantemir Balagov|
|Written by||Kantemir Balagov|
|Music by||Evgueni Galperine|
Beanpole (Russian: Дылда) is a 2019 Russian historical drama film directed by Kantemir Balagov. It premiered in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2019 Cannes Film Festival. At Cannes, Balagov won the Un Certain Regard Best Director Award and the FIPRESCI Prize for Best Film in the Un Certain Regard section. It was selected as the Russian entry for the Best International Feature Film at the 92nd Academy Awards, making the December shortlist.
The film, set in 1945 Leningrad, tells the story of Iya, a young woman returning from World War II with a 3-year old child, and her friend and former fellow soldier Masha.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 100% based on 24 reviews, with an average rating of 7.95/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Filmed with impressive skill and brought to life by unforgettable performances, Beanpole takes a heartbreakingly empathetic look at lives shattered by war". On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 81 out of 100 based on 6 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Cannes Film Festival||25 May 2019||FIPRESCI Prize - Un Certain Regard||Kantemir Balagov||Won|||
|Best Director - Un Certain Regard||Won|||
|Prix Un Certain Regard||Nominated|||
|European Film Award||7 December 2019||Best Actress||Viktoria Miroshnichenko||Nominated|||
- List of submissions to the 92nd Academy Awards for Best International Feature Film
- List of Russian submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
- "The Screenings Guide 2019". May 9, 2019. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- "BEANPOLE - Wild Bunch". Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Bell, Nicholas (January 7, 2019). "Top 150 Most Anticipated Foreign Films of 2019: #43. The Beanpole – Kantemir Balagov". IONCINEMA.com. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- "The 2019 Official Selection". Cannes. April 18, 2019. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Sharf, Zack (April 18, 2019). "2019 Cannes Film Festival Lineup: Terrence Malick, Xavier Dolan, Almodóvar Compete for Palme d'Or". IndieWire. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Lodge, Guy (24 May 2019). "Brazil's 'Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão' Wins Cannes Un Certain Regard Award". Variety. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Cannes: 'It Must Be Heaven' Takes FIPRESCI Critics' Prize". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Kantemir Balagov's film Dylda nominated for an Oscar from Russia". Teller Report. 24 September 2019. Retrieved 24 September 2019.
- "10 Films Make Shortlist for Oscars' Best International Film". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- "Beanpole (Dylda) - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- "Beanpole Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- "Queer Palm 2019 Nominee". Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- "EFA Nominations - European Film Awards". www.europeanfilmawards.eu. Retrieved 2019-11-11.