Bear's Den (band)
Bear's Den at Haldern Pop Festival (2017)
|Genres||Folk rock, alternative rock|
|Labels||Communion Records, Caroline International|
|Associated acts||Mumford & Sons, Cherbourg, Daughter, Smoke Fairies, Ben Howard|
Andrew Davie |
|Past members||Joey Haynes (2012–2016)|
Bear's Den are a British folk rock band from London, formed in 2012. The band consists of Andrew Davie (lead vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar) and Kevin Jones (vocals, drums, bass, guitar). Joey Haynes (vocals, banjo, guitar) left the band in early 2016. For their 2016/2017 Tour in Europe and North America Joey is replaced by Dutch artist Christof van der Ven, not as an official member but as a session musician.
Bear's Den have released two studio albums: Islands (2014), their second studio album Red Earth & Pouring Rain was released on 22 July 2016. Islands peaked at number forty-nine on the UK Albums Chart. The band has also issued two EPs: Agape (2013) and Without/Within (2013).
The band have been nominated for several music awards throughout their career, with "Above the Clouds of Pompeii" earning the band a nomination for the Ivor Novello Award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically in 2015. The band received two nominations at the UK Americana Awards in 2016, Artist of the Year and Song of the Year for "Agape".
2012–2014: Formation and early years
The band's first tour in which the band travelled across the USA in Volkswagen Campervans with Ben Howard, Nathaniel Rateliff and The Staves, was the subject of a 2014 documentary, "Austin to Boston" by James Marcus Haney, which premiered at the 58th BFI London Film Festival.
On 20 October 2014, the band released their debut album Islands on Communion Records, the label founded in 2006 by Bear's Den member Kevin Jones with Ben Lovett of Mumford & Sons and producer Ian Grimble.
The album spent 10 weeks in the UK Official Charts, peaking at No. 49. Islands appears at no. 7 in the first official UK Americana Chart, and at no. 9 in the top selling Americana albums of 2015.
In March 2015 their song "Above the Clouds of Pompeii" was nominated for the Ivor Novello award for "Best Song Musically and Lyrically".
In October 2015 Islands was re-released as a deluxe edition featuring an extra CD of live tracks.
In 2015 the band sold out their extensive UK, Europe and US tours, including London's Roundhouse. They performed at international festivals including Reading and Leeds, Glastonbury Festival, Lollapalooza, Citadel, Somersault, NOS Alive, BBK, Squamish, Pukkelpop, Lowlands, Bonnaroo and Dockville.
On 4 February 2016, Joey Haynes announced via the band's Facebook that he was leaving the band to spend more time with family and friends.
Bear's Den's first show as a duo was a surprise set at Communion's club night at Notting Hill Arts Club on 3 April 2016. A short tour of European venues followed.
2016–present: Red Earth & Pouring Rain
On 4 April 2016, the band released a trailer in anticipation of their new album. Red Earth & Pouring Rain was released on 22 July. They also announced a tour of Europe for Autumn 2016, including their biggest headline show to date at Brixton Academy.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Certification|
|Red Earth & Pouring Rain||
- EP (2012)
- Agape (2013)
- Without/Within (2013)
- Elysium (2014)
- "Agape" (2013)
- "Writing on the Wall" (2013)
- "Above the Clouds of Pompeii" (2014)
- "Think of England" (2015)
- "Auld Wives" (2016)
- "Emeralds" (2016)
- "Dew on the Vine" (2016)
- "Berlin" (2016)
- "Elysium" (2014)
- "Handelse Christof tourt met Bear's Den door Europa". Weekblad voor Gemert-Bakel. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "Austin to Boston". 12 June 2015 – via IMDb.
- "The 58th BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express® announces full 2014 programme".
- "Bear's Den Gigography, Tour History & Past Concerts – Songkick".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 30 October 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- "Bear's Den gets Deezer cash boost in latest round of Momentum funding - News - Music Week". musicweek.com. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "First UK Americana chart launched, and Mumford and Sons fail the authenticity test". The Independent. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- "The Ivors Nominations 2015 – The Ivors". The Ivors. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Linkfire.com. "Islands Deluxe by Bear's Den".
- "BPI Certified Awards > Search". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2016-11-13.
- Carnwath, Ally (24 July 2016). "Bear's Den: Red Earth & Pouring Rain review – a routine outing".
- "BEAR'S DEN | full Official Chart history". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "ultratop.be - Discografie Bear's Den". Hung Medien. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Offizielle Charts - Red Earth & Pouring Rain". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "GfK Chart-Track (Week 30, 2016)". GfK. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Discografie Bear's Den - dutchcharts.nl". Hung Medien. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Discographie Bear's Den - hitparade.ch". Hung Medien. Retrieved 3 August 2016.