Bear Lake State Park (Idaho)
|Bear Lake State Park|
Bear Lake seen from the park
|Location||Bear Lake County, Idaho, United States|
|Nearest city||St. Charles, Idaho|
|Area||966 acres (391 ha)|
|Elevation||5,900 ft (1,800 m)|
|Designation||Idaho state park|
|Visitors||162,787 (in 2014-2015)|
(expressed as Total Visitor Days)
|Administrator||Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation|
|Website||Bear Lake State Park|
Bear Lake State Park (sometimes called North Beach State Park) is a public recreation area bordering the north and eastern shores of Bear Lake in the southeast corner of Bear Lake County, Idaho, near the Utah and Wyoming state lines. The state park sits across the lake from St. Charles and is fifteen miles (24 km) south of Montpelier. Bear Lake National Wildlife Refuge lies adjacent to the park's north unit.
The state purchased land for the park in 1969 using funds supplied through the Recreation and Public Purposes Act. At the same time, the North Beach unit was leased from Utah Power and Light. Management of the north unit continues under lease from PacifiCorp.
Bear Lake owes its unique turquoise blue color to the presence of suspended calcium carbonate (limestone). The park's two units each have a beach over one mile (1.6 km) in length with gradually sloping lake bottom and large swimming area. Camping is offered in the east unit. In winter, the park provides ice fishing access for the annual runs of Bonneville cisco.
- "Bear Lake State Park". Idaho Parks and Recreation. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "North Beach State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "History: State Lands in Idaho". Idaho Museum of Natural History. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "Table 1. Park Visitor Days by Residence" (PDF). Economic Impact and Importance of State Parks in Idaho. Department of Economics, College of Business & Economics, Boise State University. January 2018. p. 11. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- "Map of Bear Lake National Wildlife Refuge" (PDF). U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Retrieved September 22, 2018.
- "North Beach". PacifiCorp. Retrieved September 22, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bear Lake State Park (Idaho).|