Bear claw (pastry)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Pastry, doughnut or fritter|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Main ingredients||Dough, almond paste|
|Ingredients generally used||Raisins|
A bear claw is a sweet, yeast-raised pastry, similar to a Danish, originating in the United States during the mid-1920s.[failed verification] A bear claw is usually filled with almond paste, and sometimes raisins, and often shaped in a semicircle with slices along the curved edge, or rectangular with partial slices along one side. As the dough rises, the sections separate, evoking the shape of a bear's toes, hence the name.
The name bear claw as used for a pastry is first attested in 1936. The phrase is more common in Western American English, and is included in the U.S. Regional Dialect Survey Results, Question #87, "Do you use the term 'bear claw' for a kind of pastry?"
A bear claw can be made by hand or by machine. A 1948 patent describes the process of assembling the bear claw as rolling out the dough, layering filling onto it, folding the dough over, cutting small incisions to create the claw-like look, and finally cutting the dough into separate pastries. The pastry can be curved into a half-circle at this point, which causes the "toes" to separate.
- List of pastries
- List of regional dishes of the United States
- List of doughnut varieties
- List of fried dough varieties
- Food portal
- "Bear claw". Dictionary of American Regional English. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- FrancesC. "Almond Bear Claws". Allrecipes.com. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Della-Piana, Patricia. J'eat? Playful Cookery. Lulu. p. 356. ISBN 9781300921059.
- Pastry, Joe. "The Bear Claw". Joe Pastry. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Bear Claw". Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved Feb 4, 2016.
- "Dialect Survey Results". Joshua Katz, Department of Statistics, NC State University. Archived from the original on 6 June 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Le, Conie Stiles (Jan 13, 1948), Production of coffee cakes, retrieved 2016-03-24. US Patent US 2434339 A. Filed 1944-03-22. Granted 1948-01-13.
- Mushet, Cindy, Sur La Table (2008-10-21). "Bear Claw". The Art and Soul of Baking. Andrews McMeel Publishing. p. 118. ISBN 9780740773341.
- Media related to Bear claw (pastry) at Wikimedia Commons
|This breakfast-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This dessert-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|