|Associated acts||Big Big Train|
|Past members||Gabriel Olsson
Beardfish was a Swedish progressive rock band formed in 2001. Their style resembles progressive rock bands from the 1970s, such as Yes and Genesis. The band currently consists of founding members vocalist/keyboardist Rikard Sjöblom and guitarist David Zackrisson, along with longtime drummer Magnus Östgren and bassist Robert Hansen; who joined the band in 2001 and 2002 respectively.
The initial lineup of Beardfish consisted of frontman Rikard Sjöblom, guitarist David Zackrisson, bassist Gabriel Olsson, and drummer Petter Diamant. Before the end of 2001, Diamant had been replaced by Magnus Östgren, and early in 2002 the band's lineup was augmented by keyboardist Stefan Aronsson. Later that year, Olsson was replaced by Robert Hansen, and it was this lineup that recorded the band's debut album, Från En Plats Du Ej Kan Se, in 2003. Following the release of the album, Aronsson left the band, leaving Beardfish with the four-man lineup which continues to this day.
Following the release of the band's second album, The Sane Day, in 2006, the band were signed by InsideOut Music. They have remained on this label ever since, releasing six more albums to date, the latest of which is 2015's +4626-COMFORTZONE.
In 2008, Beardfish toured with fellow progressive rock band The Tangent. The following year they were scheduled to tour North America during the summer as part of Progressive Nation, a tour organized by Dream Theater's then-drummer Mike Portnoy; however, they were forced to withdraw from this event after InsideOut lost funding because its distributor, SPV, declared bankruptcy.
In September 2012, Beardfish were the opening act for all European dates of the band Flying Colors, and in May 2013, were one of the opening acts (along with Sound of Contact) for all European dates of the band Spock's Beard. The band followed this up by touring with Sound of Contact in support of Spock's Beard during 2013. In 2014 the band commenced work on their eighth studio album, with Sjöblom also joining the band Big Big Train in the capacity of touring guitarist. In October it was announced that Sjöblom would remain with Big Big Train in an official capacity. The following month Beardfish announced the completion of their eighth studio album, entitled *+4626-COMFORTZONE, scheduled for release in January 2015. For the tour dates commencing in early 2015 the band extended their touring line-up with the addition of keyboardist Martin Borgh.
In 2016, the band announced they had broken up.
- Från en plats du ej kan se... (2003)
- The Sane Day (2006)
- Sleeping in Traffic: Part One (2007)
- Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two (2008)
- Destined Solitaire (2009)
- Mammoth (2011)
- The Void (2012)
- +4626-COMFORTZONE (2015)
- "Biography". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- "Beardfish: "Sleeping In Traffic: Part One"" (PDF). InsideOut Music. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- "Beardfish: "Sleeping In Traffic: Part Two"". InsideOut Music. Archived from the original on 20 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- "The Void". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- "2008 Tour diary w RITUAL and THE TANGENT — BEARDFISHBAND.COM". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- Mark Bredius. "The Official Site". Dream Theater. Archived from the original on 14 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- "Be sure to check our tour diary as we travel throughout Europe with Flying Colors". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- "InsideOut Music 20th Anniversary Presents Spock’s Beard on tour with support from Beardfish and Sound of Contact". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- "BEARDFISH Talk About Their Upcoming Record, B-Sides Compilation And Being Stereotypically Progressive". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- "Big Big Train Recruit Beardfish’s Sjoblom". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- "Log into Facebook - Facebook". Facebook.
- "Beardfish announce release of new album ‘+4626-COMFORTZONE’". BEARDFISHBAND.COM.
- "Interview: Rikard Sjöblom from Beardfish". echoesanddust.com.
- "BAND STATEMENT". facebook.com.