Beast Is the B2ST
|Beast is the B2ST|
|EP by Beast|
|Released||October 14, 2009|
|Genre||K-Pop, dance-pop, R&B|
|Producer||Hong Seung Seong|
|Singles from Beast Is the B2ST|
Beast Is the B2ST (Beast Is The Best) is the debut mini-album played by South Korean boy band Beast, and was released by Cube Entertainment on October 14, 2009. The songs were written and composed by Shin Sa-dong Tiger and Lee Sang-ho who have also produced songs for their labelmate, 4minute.
In October 2009, Beast held their debut showcase at the MTV GongGae Hall and made their live performance debut on KBS Music Bank with their debut single, "Bad Girl". A documentary recording the story of the group's debut titled MTV B2ST was filmed during this time, showing the members as they filmed their first music video and bonded with each other. Their debut mini-album, Beast Is the B2ST featured five songs, including the intro track "Beast Is the B2ST", "Mystery", and "Oasis". The song "Yet" (아직은, Ajigeun) was banned from airplay due to (believed) swearing in JunHyung's rap. This is actually quite a controversial topic among fans, seeing as some believe the "swear word" could have been another word entirely. Beast won their first award, Rookie of the Month for December, awarded by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
In early 2010, Beast promoted their second single, "Mystery", from the mini-album, with live performances on the weekly music shows. The members created their own humorous amateur music video for the song, featuring fellow Korean pop singers including members of Girls' Generation and Kara. The mini-album went on to sell 40,000 copies, an unusual feat for a Korean rookie group, with the album's original print run of 20,000 copies selling out in its first month.
On February 14, 2012, Beast's official YouTube channel uploaded a special music video for "Mystery". Beast first premiered this music video during their 'Beautiful Show' world tour concert in Seoul. The video was played in lieu of the group's actual performance of the song, ending with the word "EASY" as the introduction to their next song in the lineup.
|1.||"Beast Is the B2ST"||Beast||Shin Sa Dong Tiger, Choi Gyu Seong||Shin Sa Dong Tiger||1:36|
|2.||"Bad Girl" (배드걸; Baedeu Geol)||Lee Sang Ho, Shin Sa Dong Tiger, Beast||Lee Sang Ho, Shin Sa Dong Tiger||Shin Sa Dong Tiger||3:16|
|3.||"Mystery" (미스테리; Miseuteri)||Lee Sang Ho, Kang Ji Won, Shin Sa Dong Tiger, Yong Junhyung||Lee Sang Ho, Kang Ji Won, Shin Sa Dong Tiger||Lee Sang Ho, Kang Ji Won,||3:30|
|4.||"Ajigeun" (아직은, lit. Yet)||Shin Sa Dong Tiger, Jeon Hye Won, Yong Junhyung||Shin Sa Dong Tiger||Shin Sa Dong Tiger||3:42|
|5.||"Oasis" (오아시스; Oasiseu)||Hwang Song Jin, Kim Ki Bum, Kang Ji Won, Yong Junhyung||Kim Ki Bum, Kang Ji Won||Kang Ji Won||3:48|
"Bad Girl" was Beast's debut single. The song "Mystery" was later performed to help promote the group's debut EP.
On November 11, 2009, Korean broadcaster KBS banned the playing of the song "Ajigeun" because of a phrase that had the potential to be misheard and misunderstood as an offensive word. Within the lyrics, "the loneliness surrounds me as I spend the night in tears, shh," the exclamation "shh" is heard as the offensive word "shit." Cube Entertainment responded to the ban by stating that the word was not used as an offensive word, instead it expresses the feelings of a person who has no experience in breaking up.
|Gaon album chart||7|
- 대중문화 차세대 아이돌 비스트 음반 판매 일간차트 1위 기염 (in Korean). Joins. 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2009-12-22.[dead link]
- "BEAST : "After the Showcase on the 15th, we cannot hide our tears"". Newsen (in Korean). 2009-10-17. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- "'AJ & Eliminated Big Bang Member Joins Together to Form the 6 Member Boy Band B2ST'". Korea Economic Daily (in Korean). 2009-08-25. Archived from the original on 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2009-11-01.
- "BEAST wins the December Rookie Music Award". Newsen (in Korean). 2009-11-27. Retrieved 2009-12-23.
- "BEAST, 'Hit Debut Album Sells 40,000 Copies'". SPN Edaily (in Korean). 2010-02-10. Archived from the original on 15 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- "Explosive Rookie Group BEAST, Album Sales Are Explosive As Well". Newsen (in Korean). 2009-11-18. Retrieved 2009-12-23.[permanent dead link]
- "B2ST releases special music video for 'Mystery'". allkpop. 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "그룹 비스트, 'Bad Girl' 뮤직비디오 풀버젼 공개" (in Korean). 매일경제. 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- "비스트 '배드걸' 이어 '미스테리' 2연타 성공할까? '색다르네' – 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 – 뉴스엔". Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- (in Korean) Why was Yet banned?. Entertainment Daily. 2009-11-11. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- "Gaon Search – BEAST" (in Korean). Gaon. August 6, 2011.
- (in Korean) Beast Official website