Beast Master (manga)
|Written by||Kyousuke Motomi|
|Original run||2006 – 2007|
Beast Master (Japanese: ビーストマスタ Hepburn: Bīsuto Masutā?) is a shōjo romantic comedy manga by Kyousuke Motomi. It is published in Japan by Shogakukan in Betsucomi and is collected in two tankōbon volumes. It is licensed by Viz Media. This series is about an animal lover and a childish young man who has problems adapting because everyone considered him a beast.
Yuiko Kubozuka is a high school student who loves animals, though animals unfortunately hate her and flee from her whenever possible. When Leo Aoi, a strange student with a terrifying expression transfers to Yuiko's class, she is surprised to learn that he is actually innocent and sweet-natured and animals are easily drawn to him. However, when attacked, Leo unconsciously becomes as violent as a bloodthirsty animal.
Because Yuiko is the first to see beyond his frightening expression, Leo quickly becomes strongly attached to Yuiko, who is his first friend. They fall in love with one another, but circumstances regarding Leo's family situation threaten to separate them.
Leo Aoi looks like a crazy animal with wild eyes, and he goes berserk whenever he feels threatened and sees blood.
- Yuiko Kubozuka (窪塚 結子 Kubozuka Yuiko?)
- A 17-year-old girl who loves animals, though they are fearful of her because of her overly-loving approach to them. She is easy going and well liked by her peers. One day she meets Leo Aoi, when she chases a lost cat up the tree once again (because of her overly adoring nature) and he saves it. Almost immediately the two develop a close relationship, mainly because she is the only person who is not scared of him. She accepts Leo's secret and becomes the only person able to tame him. She soon comes to love him. In school, she is known as the "Beast Master" for her ability to contain Leo. Her father is a veterinarian and her family runs a veterinary clinic.
- Leo Aoi (蒼井 礼央 Aoi Reō?)
- A 17 going on 18-year-old boy whose sharp eyes resemble those of a beast. Despite his looks, he is cute and childish. He cares deeply for Yuiko as she is his first friend, and soon after, falls in love with her. When Leo sees blood, his animalistic alter-ego emerges. In these moments, Yuiko is the only person able to stop him without resorting to tranquilizer darts. Leo is clueless about many things because he has been living in remote locations most of his life. He is forced to move around because of threatening relatives who want the large inheritance of 120 billion yen he is revealed to have later in the series. His father arrives to move him shortly after an attack by one of his relatives, but instead of running, he comes back to Yuiko.
- Kyle Tokizaburō Rosenburg (カイル・時三郎・ローゼンバーグ Kairu Tokizaburo Rōzenbaagu?)
- Kyle is Leo's caretaker and loves him greatly. He was originally the secretary of Leo's late grandfather, from whom Leo is receiving his inheritance. He used to be in the military, which may explain his strength. His character provides a great deal of the manga's humor.
The series was written and illustrated by Kyousuke Motomi and was currently serialized in Shogakukan's monthly shōjo manga magazine, Betsucomi. The individual chapters were collected into two tankōbon volumes by publisher Shogakukan.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||North America release date||North America ISBN|
|1||February 26, 2007||ISBN 9784091308542||November 3, 2009||ISBN 1-4215-3201-8|
|Overzealous animal lover Yuiko Kubozuka becomes friends with Leo Aoi, a boy who looks like a crazy animal with wild eyes but a special connection with animals. However, her resolve is tested when she learns that while Leo is actually quite gentle, he goes berserk whenever he sees blood.|
|2||July 27, 2007||ISBN 9784091311580||February 2, 2010||ISBN 1-4215-3202-6|
|Leo's 18th birthday is around the corner, but celebrating seems impossible as someone is after Leo's life. Leo must overcome the dangers of his past or the beast-like boy will be separated from his beloved "master" forever.|
- 野獸主人 (in Chinese). Ever Glory Publishing. Archived from the original on June 29, 2011. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- "Beast Master". Viz Media. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- ビーストマスター 1 (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- "Beast Master, Volume 1". Viz Media. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- ビーストマスター2 (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- "Beast Master, Volume 2". Viz Media. Retrieved November 1, 2016.