Beat 'Em Up
||This article possibly contains original research. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Beat 'Em Up|
|Studio album by Iggy Pop|
|Released||June 18, 2001|
|Recorded||Hit Factory Criteria Studios, Miami, Florida, United States|
|Iggy Pop chronology|
Beat 'Em Up, recorded at Hit Factory Criteria studios in Miami Beach, Florida, is the first Iggy Pop album in which The Trolls were credited. The Trolls were: Iggy Pop, Whitey Kirst, Pete Marshall, Alex Kirst and Lloyd 'Mooseman' Roberts.
Beat 'Em Up was the first self-produced album by Iggy Pop. Art Collins, Pop's manager, said on the work: "I'm not saying this is another Raw Power, but if Raw Power is a true Iggy album, then this is another true Iggy album". He added there would be some "ranting on the album, some humor, some rock on it."
The album was released on June 18, 2001, and included as an unmentioned bonus the song acknowledged as "Sterility" on tour playlists, featured right after "VIP". "Sterility" was a rhythmic rant, but not in the aggro-core vein of "Mask", "L.O.S.T", "Howl", or the title track.
Reception and aftermath
"Mask" was included on the compilation A Million in Prizes: The Anthology. The murder by drive-by shooting of bassist Lloyd 'Mooseman' Roberts, a former member of Ice-T's Body Count and a member of The Trolls at the time of his death, postponed plans to tour, though "Mask" was performed to great effect on the Late Show with David Letterman, cementing Iggy's place as a rock favorite for people who disdain the current landscape of American popular music, regardless of genre, and the eventual Spring and Fall Beat 'Em Up tours were well received.
All songs composed by Iggy Pop and Whitey Kirst, except where indicated.
- "Mask" (Iggy Pop, Lloyd "Mooseman" Roberts, Alex Kirst, Whitey Kirst) - 2:53
- "L.O.S.T." - 3:24
- "Howl" - 5:05
- "Football" - 3:52
- "Savior" - 4:37
- "Beat 'Em Up" - 4:26
- "Talking Snake" - 4:28
- "Jerk" - 3:44
- "Death is Certain" - 4:38
- "Go for the Throat" (Pop, Mooseman, Kirst, Kirst) - 3:56
- "Weasels" - 2:59
- "Drink New Blood" - 4:33
- "It's All Shit" - 4:57
- "Ugliness" - 5:37
- "V.I.P." (Pop, Mooseman, Kirst, Kirst) (includes bonus track "Sterility") - 13:11
B-sides and alternate versions
- "Mask" (Single Edit) - 2:53
- Iggy Pop - vocals
- Danny Kadar - theremin on "L.O.S.T.", mix engineer, mixing
- Pete Marshall - rhythm guitar on "Ugliness"
- Todd James - cover illustration
- "Iggy Pop: Beat Em Up Tour 2001". Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- "Beat 'Em Up by Iggy Pop". Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Deming, Mark. "Beat Em Up – Iggy Pop | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved May 2016. Check date values in:
- Wilson, David L. "Iggy Pop – "Beat 'Em Up" (Virgin)". Blistering. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- Pitchfork Media review Archived May 17, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.