Beat the Star
|Beat the Star|
Phillip Schofield (2 episodes)
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||15 (inc. unaired pilot) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||75mins (inc. adverts)|
|Original network||ITV, STV, UTV|
|Original release||20 April 2008– 31 May 2009|
Beat the Star is a British game show airing on television network ITV. It is the British version of the Schlag den Raab franchise, based on the German game show Schlag den Raab (Beat the Raab - Raab being Stefan Raab). A candidate who can beat a celebrity in a number of disciplines wins the jackpot, starting at £50,000.
Each episode features one contestant battling against a celebrity in a number of disciplines. The games include sports contests such as climbing, motorsport and ice hockey, puzzles and various other challenges. The show notably features several highly unusual challenges, including using a saw to cut a large log, dropping a pea into a bottle from a height of 1 metre, hammering nails into a piece of wood, and chopping a large sausage.
Games carry varying numbers of points for the winner (1 point for game 1, 2 for game 2 etc.), and successful contestants win a prize of £50,000. If the celebrity wins, the jackpot rolls over (series 1), or is added to a prize fund for the season finale in which host Vernon Kay competes (series 2).
The pilot and first series were recorded in Cologne, Germany, using the set and facilities of the original German version of the show (though the German location is never acknowledged in the show itself). Eight episodes were recorded during April 2008. Members of the studio audience can win €500 or one of 20 tickets for German Schlag den Raab. Candidates needed to be at least 18 years of age, have a driving licence and a passport. In October 2008 ITV announced a second series, having got good ratings with the first. Series 2 was recorded at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire next to the 007 Set.
Differences between Beat the Star and Schlag den Raab
Most noticeably, the UK show features a different celebrity player each week, is not broadcast live and lasts 75 minutes with 7 or 8 scheduled games (though remaining games are not played if the result is decided early).
In Germany, Schlag den Raab starts at 20:15 on Saturdays with a variable running time of at least four hours, with up to 15 individual games. The longest show in the history of "Schlag den Raab" lasted 368 minutes. The show began on Saturday 20:15 and ended on Sunday morning at 02:23. The German version starts with the selection of one of five candidates by televoting. The British remake is pre-recorded. In the German version, a member of the TV audience can win one or more cars, in the British version a member of the studio audience can win €500, though this is not shown in the broadcast show. The British version features different celebrities, whereas the German version is centred on television entertainer and late-night show host Stefan Raab. In the German version there's a jackpot starting with €500,000. The highest prize was €3.5 million on 15 December 2012.
The games are generally similar, although some games were dropped for series 2 of the UK show, when recording no longer took place in the original's Cologne studio.
In 2009, Beat the Star was brought back to Germany as Schlag den Star. Seven seasons with four episodes each have been aired since August 2015. Concerning the differences mentioned above, Schlag den Star is very similar to Beat the Star, but Stefan Raab (not being opponent) is a joker for the contestant in one of the first six games. Schlag den Raab is aired regularly, Schlag den Star irregularly.
|Series||Start date||End date||Episodes|
|1||20 April 2008||22 June 2008||8|
|2||19 April 2009||31 May 2009||7|
|Episode||Date||Total Viewers||ITV Weekly Ranking|
|1||20 April 2008||5,250,000||16|
|2||27 April 2008||5,170,000||18|
|3||4 May 2008||3,800,000||20|
|4||11 May 2008||3,930,000||22|
|5||18 May 2008||3,900,000||20|
|6||25 May 2008||4,140,000||18|
|7||1 June 2008||4,930,000||20|
|8||22 June 2008||5,190,000||12|
|Episode||Date||Total Viewers||ITV Weekly Ranking|
|1||19 April 2009||5,590,000||15|
|2||26 April 2009||4,250,000||20|
|3||3 May 2009||3,600,000||22|
|4||10 May 2009||4,140,000||24|
|5||17 May 2009||4,230,000||18|
|6||24 May 2009||Under 2,760,000||Outside Top 30|
|7||31 May 2009||3,870,000||29|
|Country||Title||Network||Host||Competing against||Games||Date aired|
|Australia||Beat the Star||Seven Network||Daniel MacPherson||Changed weekly||Unknown||7 September 2010|
|Bulgaria||Разбий Иван и Андрей
Razbii Ivan i Andrei
|Nova Television||Ivan and Andrey||Ivan and Andrey||11||26 September 2011|
|Croatia||Pobijedi Šolu||RTL Televizija||Belma Hodžic||Vlado Šola||15||20 February 2009|
|France||Qui peut battre Benjamin Castaldi?||TF1||Carole Rousseau & Denis Brognart||Benjamin Castaldi||13||29 November 2008|
|Rustavi 2||Ann Korkia||Unknown||Unknown||14 June 2010|
|Germany||Schlag den Raab
Schlag den Henssler
|15||23 September 2006|
|Netherlands||Beat De Mol||Veronica TV||Johnny De Mol||Various||Unknown||9 November 2010|
|Norway||Hvem kan slå Ylvis
Hvem kan slå Aamodt og Kjus
|TV Norge||Frithjof Wilborn (1st edition)
Pia Lykke (2nd ediction)
Kjetil André Aamodt & Lasse Kjus
|Serbia||Izađi na crtu||Prva||Srđan Karanović||Milan Kalinić||15||25 September 2011|
|Sweden||Vem kan slå Filip och Fredrik?||Kanal 5||Pontus Gårdinger||Filip and Fredrik||15||9 September 2008|
|1+1||Ostap Stupka and Nikolay Vasilkov||Andrew Domanskiy||4||2012|
- Davies, Serena (19 April 2008). "Games master". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- "Can Khan win Vernon's challenge?". digiguide. Retrieved 19 April 2008.
- ""Beat the Star" with Vernon Kay, Monday 5.Nov.2007 - Germany". toytowngermany. Archived from the original on 20 April 2008. Retrieved 7 April 2008.
- "recording dates of Beat the Star". mediabolo.de. Archived from the original on 5 April 2008. Retrieved 7 April 2008.
- "tickets for Beat the Star". mediabolo.de. Archived from the original on 5 April 2008. Retrieved 7 April 2008.
- "search for candidates". lincsquad.co.uk. Archived from the original on 9 June 2008. Retrieved 13 April 2008.
- "BRAINPOOL / Raab und ProSieben schlagen RTL am Samstag / November / 2014 / Presse / Home". brainpool.de (in German). Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Blog: Can ITV beat the ratings?". broadcastnow. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- "Exporting TV page 2". ProSiebenSat1. Archived from the original on 20 August 2008. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "BARB". BARB. 21 September 2010.
- "Qui peut battre Benjamin Castaldi ?... Audrey Prieto !". Télé 7 Jours (in French). Première. 29 November 2008. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Vem kan slå Filip och Fredrik?". Kanal 5 (in Swedish). Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- Beat the Star on IMDb
- Beat the Star at itv.com
- Beat the Star at UKGameshows.com
- Official website
- ITV to Air British Version of Beat Your Host
- Wanted: English Speaking TV Audience
- TV-KOPIE "BEAT THE STAR!" Raab-Recycling ohne Rampensau (German)
- CITY COP IS ON 'BEAT' WITH STAR BOXER KHAN
- Britische Version von "Schlag den Raab" Her mit den kleinen Engländern (German)
- TVBlogger on Tour: “Beat the Star” (German)
- Infantiles Fernsehen. Stefan Raab hat mit seinen Samstag-Abend-Shows auch im Ausland Erfolg. HANS CHRISTIAN MÜLLER, Framkfurter Rundschau (German)
- Ratings for Episode 1
- pictures from Episode 1