Beat the Traffic
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2014)|
Beat the Traffic is a provider of vehicle traffic reporting solutions for broadcast media and consumers. With a focus on daily commuters, Beat the Traffic was founded in 2001 by former CEO Andre Gueziec, and now operated by Pelmorex, the parent company of The Weather Network. Headquarters are located in Oakville, Ontario Canada.
Using information compiled from public and private sources, crowd-sourced content coupled with its own reporting teams, Beat the Traffic provides real-time traffic information and maps for most major cities in the US and Canada.
Beat the Traffic mainly disseminates its traffic information to users through its website and mobile app. Available features include:
- Color-coded traffic map showing areas of congestion
- Personalized routes, enabling a one-click access to most driven routes’ traffic conditions
- Live traffic cameras
- Text or mail notifications informing about delays on preferred routes
- Incidents reports
Beat the Traffic Mobile App
With more than 2.8 million downloads and over 600,000 users, Beat the Traffic app has been named “Top 5 Traffic Apps to change your commute” and “Top 5 apps for your car” by Lifehacker and CraveOnline.
Beat the Traffic’s Mobile App Key Features include:
- 'Smart Route’ provides the best alternate route option
- Traffic alerts via notifications or email
- Estimated travel time, traffic flow, incidents and traffic cameras all on one screen
- Text directions provide turn by turn instructions along your route
- Report incidents to fellow drivers, by shaking your device
- Fully personalize your app with saved trips, locations, traffic notification and more…
- Watch real-time traffic reports live from our in-studio traffic specialists*
Download Beat the Traffic in iTunes: US Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beat-the-traffic/id552637004?mt=8 Canadian Store: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/travelers-network-live-traffic/id552637004?mt=8
or Android Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=triangleSoftware.traffic.android
Beat the Traffic Website
Since 2003 BeatTheTraffic.com helps drivers plan their route ahead of time and prevent delays by providing real-time traffic information.
TV Broadcast Traffic Solution
Beat the Traffic’s award-winning 3D broadcast software offers a multi-platform traffic software that TV broadcasters can easily use to tell viewers the complete traffic story. Most recent version 7 software is powerful and easy-to-use, making production to on-air broadcast simple and quick.
Used by over 40 news affiliates - Beat the Traffic 3D software was built with broadcasters in mind - providing broadcasters the opportunity to engage their audience throughout the day across multiple platforms as well as the ability to integrate social media (Facebook and Twitter) updates into their traffic segment.
TV stations and cable operators Using Beat the Traffic 3D
KFSN 30 Fresno
KGPE 47 Fresno
KHOU 11 Houston
KIRO 7 Seattle
KITV 4 Honolulu
KABB 29 San Antonio
KDVR 31 Denver
KERO 23 Bakersfield
KETV 7 Omaha
KFTY 50 Santa Rosa
KPNX 12 Phoenix
KRON 4 San Francisco Bay Area
KLAS 8 Las Vegas
News 8 Austin
WDRB 41 Louisville
WINK 11 Fort Myers
WPBF 25 West Palm Beach
WSB 2 Atlanta
WTKR 3 Norfolk
WTVR 6 Richmond
WBIR 10 NBC
Time Warner Cable Los Angeles
TWC New York
TWC San Diego
Beat the Traffic sources its traffic information from data providers as well as from the public in order to deliver traffic conditions.
Much of the information comes from public and private agencies according to geographical areas.
Crowd-sourcing: A growing share of the information is coming from Beat the Traffic users, through a method named crowdsourcing. This method adds the benefit of data anonymously gathered from phones and navigation systems in cars currently on the roads and highways.
Beat the Traffic users can also participate in the process of data collection while sending reports. In this fashion, users have been able to report accidents on their routes, hazards, constructions zones, police controls and weather conditions.
This provides more immediate, accurate, and timely data than traditional methods. Crowd-sourced data transcends traditional traffic information, giving travelers an up-to-the-second picture of traffic conditions.
Beat the Traffic is an award-winning company:
- Named “Top 5 apps for your car” by Lifehacker and CraveOnline
- Named “Top 5 Traffic Apps to change your commute” by Q13FOX.com
- Recipient of the 2010 STAR Award at NAB Show and received the Television Broadcast magazine’s Top Innovation Award  at the National Association of Broadcasters' (NAB) trade show.
- Named on the Red Herring Top 100 Americas List in 2012
The company has received 10 U.S. patents
- Jan. 24, 2006: Patent No. 6,989,765 “Personalized Traffic Information System”
- January 9, 2007: Patent No. 7,161,497 “System for Aggregating Traveler Information”
- May 22, 2007: Patent No. 7,221,287 “Three-Dimensional Traffic Report”
- May 20, 2008: Patent No, 7,375,649 “Traffic Routing Based on Segment Travel Time”
- March 24, 2009: Patent No, 7,508,321 “System and method for predicting travel time for a travel route”
- July 7, 2009: Patent No, 7, 557,730 “GPS-Generated Traffic Information”
- October 27, 2009: Patent No, 7,610,145 “System and method for determining recommended departure time ”
- April 20, 2010: Patent No, 7,702,452 "System and method for determining a prediction of average speed for a segment of roadway"
- February 1, 2011: Patent No, 7,880,642 "GPS-generated traffic information"
- January 24, 2012: Patent No, 8,103,443 "System and method for delivering departure notifications"
Notes and references
- "Pelmorex Media Inc. Acquires Beat The Traffic and Launches Travelers Network" PRWeb 6 Dec, 2012.
- NAB 2005 Best of Show Award Winners