Beatin' the Odds (Molly Hatchet album)
|Beatin' the Odds|
Cover art by Frank Frazetta
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Bee Jay Recording Studios, Orlando, Florida|
Record Plant Studios, Los Angeles, California
|Genre||Southern rock, hard rock|
|Producer||Tom Werman, Pat Armstrong|
|Molly Hatchet chronology|
|Singles from Beatin' the Odds|
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||7/10|
Beatin' the Odds is the third studio album by American southern rock band Molly Hatchet, released in 1980. This is the first album with new vocalist Jimmy Farrar, who replaced Danny Joe Brown. A remastered edition of the album was issued in 2008 by Rock Candy Records, with four live bonus tracks and extensive liner notes. The remastering was directed by famous British producer Jon Astley. The album was also reissued under the SPV/Steamhammer label in 2013 and only included the original tracks.
The cover art for the album was "Conan the Conqueror" by Frank Frazetta.
- Side one
- "Beatin' the Odds" (Banner Thomas, Dave Hlubek, Duane Roland) – 3:18
- "Double Talker" (Hlubek, Roland) – 3:15
- "The Rambler" (Hlubek, Jimmy Farrar) – 4:50
- "Sailor" (Thomas) – 3:50
- Side two
- "Dead and Gone" (Thomas, Farrar) – 4:22
- "Few and Far Between" (Bruce Crump, Steve Holland) – 3:40
- "Penthouse Pauper" (John Fogerty) – 3:18 (Creedence Clearwater Revival cover)
- "Get Her Back" (Roland) – 3:03
- "Poison Pen" (Hlubek, Holland) – 3:06
2008 re-issue live bonus tracks
Recorded live at The Lakeland Civic Centre, Lakeland, Florida, on 31 December 1980
- "Beatin' the Odds" - 3:38
- "Few and Far Between" - 3:41
- "Penthouse Pauper" - 4:07
- "Dead and Gone" - 4:34
- Molly Hatchet
- Jimmy Farrar - vocals
- Dave Hlubek - guitar, slide guitar
- Steve Holland - guitar
- Duane Roland - guitar, slide guitar
- Banner Thomas - bass
- Bruce Crump - drums
- Additional musicians
- Jai Winding - keyboards
- Tom Werman - producer
- Gary Ladinsky - engineer, mixing
- Bill Vermillion, Gary Pritikin - assistant engineers
- George Marino - mastering at Sterling Sound, New York
- Pat Armstrong - executive producer, director
- Frank Frazetta - cover painting
|USA||RIAA||1995||Platinum (+ 1,000,000)|
- Smith, Michael B. "Molly Hatchet - Beatin' the Odds review". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
- Popoff, Martin (November 1, 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. pp. 227–228. ISBN 978-1-894959-31-5.
- "History". Dirk's Unofficial Molly Hatchet Site. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- "Molly Hatchet Awards". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Archived from the original on 7 April 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 34, No. 4, November 22, 1980". Library and Archives Canada. 22 November 1980. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "RIAA Database: Search for Molly Hatchet". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2017-01-20.