Aerial view of Beatrice community
|Elevation||164 ft (50 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||Area code 601|
|GNIS feature ID||692497|
Beatrice is an unincorporated community in Stone County, Mississippi, and is located approximately 23 mi (37 km) southeast of Wiggins. Beatrice is part of the Gulfport-Biloxi metropolitan area. The main period of significance was between 1894 and 1915.
Surrounded by the De Soto National Forest, Beatrice has long been a timber and sawmill community. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the Beatrice Sawmill served as a distribution center for portable sawmills that were needed to convert storm-ravaged trees into lumber.
Little Creek Baptist Church and headquarters for Red Creek Wildlife Management Area are located in the Beatrice community.
- The Beatrice community is served by the Stone County School District.
- The Beatrice community is served by Mississippi Highway 15.
On the night of January 24, 2015, 57-year-old Timmy Garrison, owner of Beatrice Sawmill was found dead outside his place of business. Subsequent investigation by law enforcement revealed a murder-for-hire involving Evelyn Garrison, wife of the murder victim; Emmett Entriken, her childhood friend; and Entriken's distant cousin, Jody Parks. On March 10, 2017, 23-year-old Jody Parks pleaded guilty to capital murder and was sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole. On August 21, 2017, 56-year-old Evelyn Garrison accepted a plea of first-degree murder and received a sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole. On September 16, 2017, the third suspect, 67-year-old Emmett Entriken, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
- GNIS (Beatrice, Mississippi) Retrieved 2014-01-01
- Mississippi History and Genealogy Place Names Retrieved 2014-01-01
- Wood-Mizer Mississippi, TimberLine Magazine (September 1, 2006) Retrieved 2014-01-01
- O'Hara, Jody (February 11, 2015). "Alleged killer shows no emotion at arraignment". Stone County Enterprise. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- Baker, Margaret (March 10, 2017). "Man said he had 'good intentions' when he agreed to kill for a price". SunHerald. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- Fitzgerald, Robin (August 21, 2017). "'I'd sell my soul to a million devils to bring him back,' says woman who hired hit man". SunHerald. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- O'Hara, Jody (January 3, 2018). "Garrison pleas top 2017 news cycle". Stone County Enterprise. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- SunHerald Staff (September 16, 2017). "Man pleads guilty to hiring hit man in Stone County death". SunHerald. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
|This Mississippi location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|