|Full name||Beatrice Roini Liua Faumuina|
23 October 1974 |
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||116 kg (256 lb)|
|Coached by||Les Mills|
|Updated on 14 August 2012.|
Beatrice Roini Liua Faumuina, ONZM (born 23 October 1974 in Auckland, New Zealand) is a former New Zealand discus thrower, a gold medallist at the 1997 World Championships in Athletics. She has represented New Zealand in three Summer Olympics. After winning the discus event at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester she was featured on a stamp from Samoa.
In 2006, she appeared in the New Zealand version of the television series Dancing with the Stars where she was placed second. Since 2006 she has been a presenter on the Television New Zealand Pacific Islands current events programme Tagata Pasifika.
In 2007, Beatrice decided to focus on athletics and based herself in Australia for the majority of the year before competing in Osaka, Japan. She returned to good form after a disappointing injury plagued her 2006 season, placing her 4th at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games. She threw 62.2 metres at a meet in Christchurch, beating rival Dani Samuels from Australia. This followed a winning throw of 62.08 throw at a meet in Canberra.
She placed 28th in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing with a throw of 57.18m, failing to qualify for the final. Her comments to media following her elimination were widely criticized after it was perceived that she was satisfied with what many viewed as a sub-standard performance.
Faumuina finished seventh in the 2009 Reebok Grand Prix in New York, with a throw of 56.73 metres. She was expected to compete in the Prefontaine Classic meet in Oregon, in order to throw the qualifying standard for the 2009 World Championships in Athletics in Berlin. However, she did not attend the meeting and her coach stated that she had decided to focus on her upcoming Bachelor of Business Studies exams instead.
Faumuina has retired from discus throwing.
- Stanley Gibbons stamp number 1126, issued on 16 July 2003
- "What has come over Beatrice?". The Sunday Star-Times. 24 August 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- "Faumuina a disgraceful loser". Stuff.co.nz. 21 August 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- Faumuina finishes 7th - Newstalk ZB. 01/06/2009.
- "Faumuina no show at Oregon athletics event". Television New Zealand. 8 June 2009. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- Alderson, Andrew (14 June 2009). "Athletics: Beatrice out of world champs". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- "Queen Beatrice Faumuina's reign is over - Celeb Stories - New Zealand Woman's Weekly". Nzwomansweekly.co.nz. Archived from the original on 2013-02-22. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- Page with Photo, one of two at Sporting Heroes
- FAO Goodwill Ambassador website
- "Beatrice Faumuina". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC.
|Awards and achievements|
|Lonsdale Cup of the New Zealand Olympic Committee
Shane Cortese & Nerida Lister
|Dancing with the Stars (New Zealand) runner up
Season 2 (2006 with Brian Jones)
Megan Alatini & Jonny Williams