Beatrice of Rethel
|Beatrice of Rethel|
|Died||30 March 1185|
|Spouse(s)||Roger II of Sicily|
|Father||Ithier, Count of Rethel|
|Mother||Beatrix of Namur|
Marriage, issue and widowhood
In 1151, Beatrice married Roger II of Sicily Her tenure as consort lasted only about three years as Roger died on February 26, 1154, in his 59th year, while Beatrice was just 22. Beatrice was a little over three weeks pregnant at the time of his death, and their only daughter Constance of Sicily was born the following November. She married Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor, by whom she had one son, Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor.
- Alex Metcalfe, The Muslims of Medieval Italy (Edinburgh, 2009)
- Charles Cawley, Medieval Lands, Champagne Nobility
- Marek, Miroslav. "A listing of descendants of Matilda of Rethel". Genealogy.EU.
- Norwich, John Julius. The Normans in the South 1016-1130. Longmans: London, 1967.
- Cawley, Charles, Champagne Nobility, Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy,[self-published source][better source needed]
Sibylla of Burgundy
|Queen of Sicily
1151 – 26 February 1154
Margaret of Navarre