|Born||Beatrix Alice Lehmann
1 July 1903
Bourne End, Buckinghamshire, England, UK
|Died||31 July 1979
London, England, UK
|Occupation||Actress, theatre director, author|
|Parent(s)||Rudolph Chambers Lehmann (father)
Alice Mary Davis (mother)
|Relatives||Helen Lehmann (sister)
Rosamond Lehmann (sister)
John Lehmann (brother)
Henri Lehmann (great-uncle)
Lehmann was born in Bourne End, Buckinghamshire. She trained at the RADA and made her stage debut as Peggy in a 1924 production The Way of the World at the Lyric Hammersmith. She also appeared in films and on television. She wrote short stories and two novels, including Rumour of Heaven, first published in 1934 (ISBN 014016166X). In 1946 Lehmann became director and producer of the Arts Council Midland Theatre Company.
She was awarded Britain's Radio Actress of the Year in 1977. In 1978 she appeared in the Doctor Who serial The Stones of Blood as Professor Emilia Rumford. Although no one knew it at the time of recording this would be her final Television appearance. She played Susan Calvin in “The Prophet”, an episode of the British science fiction series Out of the Unknown. In 1979 she played Mrs Pleasant in a film version of The Cat and The Canary. Other roles include parts in Z-Cars, The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, War and Peace, Love for Lydia, Staircase, and Crime and Punishment.
She came from a family of notable achievers: the third of four children of author and publisher Rudolph Chambers Lehmann. Her great-uncle was Henri Lehmann the artist. Her brother was publisher John Lehmann and one of her two older sisters was the novelist Rosamond Lehmann.
- The Passing of the Third Floor Back (1935) - Miss Kite
- Strangers on Honeymoon (1936) - Elfrida
- The Rat (1937) - Marguerite
- Candles at Nine (1944) - Julia Carberry - Everard's Housekeeper
- The Key (1958) - Housekeeper
- On the Fiddle (1961) - Lady Edith
- Psyche 59 (1964) - Mrs. Crawford
- The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) - Tribunal President
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966) - Domina's Mother
- Wonderwall (1968) - Mother
- Staircase (1969) - Charlie's Mother
- The Cat and the Canary (1978) - Mrs. Pleasant
- "Beatrix Lehmann". Oxfordreference.com. doi:10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100058758.
- "Rumour of Heaven". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Beatrix Lehmann - Person - National Portrait Gallery". Npg.org.uk. 22 September 1970. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Beatrix Lehmann - Movies and Filmography - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Beatrix Lehmann, British Actress Of Stage, Screen, TV and Radio". The New York Times. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Doctor Who Classic Episode Guide - The Stones of Blood - Details". BBC. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- Beatrix Lehmann on IMDb
- "The Cat and the Canary (1981)". Bfi.org. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Beatrix Lehmann (1903 - 1979) - Find A Grave Memorial". Findagrave.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Goble, Alan (1 January 1999). "The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film". Walter de Gruyter – via Google Books.