|Subsidiary of House of Fraser|
|Headquarters||Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England|
|Products||Clothing, cosmetics, housewares|
|Parent||House Of Fraser|
Beatties (archived version)|
House of Fraser
Beatties was a small British department store group located primarily in the Midlands of England. In 2005, when it had 12 stores, the group was acquired by House of Fraser. On 14 January 2006, the Birmingham store closed, because a similar House of Fraser store, Rackhams, was not far away. In August 2007, the Telford store was rebranded, along with the Solihull and Sutton Coldfield stores.[dead link] The group is gradually rebranding all its branches under the House of Fraser name. In January 2010 the Dudley branch was closed.
On 7th June 2018, it was announced that the last branch which had retained the Beatties name, the former head office in Wolverhampton, was to close in 2019. Former Beatties-branded House of Fraser stores in Telford and Worcester were also announced to close.
Beatties was founded in 1877 and had grown from a small family drapery business in Wolverhampton to a department store with an excellent reputation for Customer Service. The Company Policy (known as the Four Corners of Responsibility) stated that the responsibility to the customer was
"To provide the customer with a good range of well chosen, good value merchandise. To offer this to the public in attractive surroundings, backed by pleasant and effective service, and in an atmosphere of complete integrity and responsibility. To demonstrate at all times a genuine desire to please".
On joining Beatties, each member of staff (known as a "Member") was presented with a "Members' Guide" to provide members with information about the company and its policies, the condition of service offered, the facilities available and the rules to be followed.
General Manager (GM), Assistant General Manager (AGM), Personnel Manager (PM), Department Sales Manager (DSM), Assistant Sales Manager (ASM), Loss Prevention Officer (Plain Clothes Security), Sales Assistants, Deck Service Personnel (Warehouse and Delivery), Catering Personnel (for Staff and Customer Restaurant)
Managers at Department level and above were known as Grade 1 members. Managers at Assistant Manager level were known as Grade 2 members.
As well as Beatties own staff the store also employed concession managers and staff. The majority of these were in Perfumery and Ladies fashions but there were also a number of Jewellery concessions.
Department store locations
- Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire - renamed House Of Fraser in 2009 - closing 2019
- Birkenhead, Merseyside - renamed House of Fraser - closing 2019
- Birmingham, West Midlands - closed January 2006
- Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire - closed September 2012
- Dudley, West Midlands - closed January 2010 store now occupied by Iceland (supermarket)
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - renamed House of Fraser, (8 May 2008)
- Northampton, Northamptonshire - renamed House of Fraser (closed in 2014) now occupied by Next and Primark
- Solihull, West Midlands - renamed House of Fraser 
- Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands - renamed House of Fraser[dead link]
- Telford, Shropshire (Telford Shopping Centre) - renamed House of Fraser in August 2007[dead link] - closing 2019
- Wolverhampton, West Midlands (previously Head Office) - closing 2019
- Worcester, Worcestershire - renamed House of Fraser - closing 2019
- New store loses Beatties name : Express & Star:[dead link]
- Penfold, Simon 140 years of city history faces the end with Beatties closure, Express & Star, Wolverhampton, 7 June 2018. Retrieved on 7 June 2018.
- House of Fraser to close 31 stores, BBC Business, 7 June 2018. Retrieved on 7 June 2018.