Beaufort at the beginning of the 20th century
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Christiane d'Ornano|
|8.69 km2 (3.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||63/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||266–374 m (873–1,227 ft) |
(avg. 280 m or 920 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Beaufortois or Beaufortoises.
Beaufort is located some 50 km north-east of Grenoble and 8 km east of Beaurepaire. Access to the commune is by the D73 road which changes to the D519D then the D519 from Lapeyrouse-Mornay in the east which passes through the commune north of the village and continues east, changing again to the D519, to Marcilloles. Access to the village is by the D73C which branches from the D73 in the commune and continues south to join the D130 just outside the commune. the D156B branches from the D73 in the commune and goes south-east to Thodure. Apart from the village there are the hamlets of Bas Beaufort and Chantabot. The commune is entirely farmland.
La Raille stream flows through the commune from north-west to south-east where it continues to join the Torrent de la Perouse at Viriville. In the north-west of the commune are canals and ponds for a fish farm.
(Not all data is known)
In 2017 the commune had 548 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
Culture and heritage
- The Fountains of Beaufort are classed as a Sensitive natural area.
- Joseph Vacher (1869-1896), a criminal, considered to be one of the first serial killers in France was born in the commune.
- "Populations légales 2017". INSEE. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- Beaufort on Lion1906
- Inhabitants of (in French)
- Beaufort on Google Maps
- Beaufort on the Géoportail from National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Beaufort on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Beaufort on the 1790 Cassini Map
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Données Cassini, EHESS
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- Discover the Espaces Naturels Sensibles of Isère, www.isere.fr, p. 26 (consulted on 22 July 2014) (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beaufort (Isère).|