Beaufort at the beginning of the 20th century
|Intercommunality||Pays de Chambaran|
|• Mayor (2001–2020)||Norbert Bouvier|
|Area1||8.69 km2 (3.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||64/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||38032 / 38270|
|Elevation||266–374 m (873–1,227 ft)
(avg. 280 m or 920 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Beaufortois or Beaufortoises.
Beaufort is located some 50 km north-east of Grenoble and 8 km east of Beaurepaire. Access to the commune is by the D73 road which changes to the D519D then the D519 from Lapeyrouse-Mornay in the east which passes through the commune north of the village and continues east, changing again to the D519, to Marcilloles. Access to the village is by the D73C which branches from the D73 in the commune and continues south to join the D130 just outside the commune. the D156B branches from the D73 in the commune and goes south-east to Thodure. Apart from the village there are the hamlets of Bas Beaufort and Chantabot. The commune is entirely farmland.
La Raille stream flows through the commune from north-west to south-east where it continues to join the Torrent de la Perouse at Viriville. In the north-west of the commune are canals and ponds for a fish farm.
A list of online mapping systems can be displayed by clicking on the coordinates (latitude and longitude) in the top right hand corner of this article.
Neighbouring communes and villages
(Not all data is known)
In 2012 the commune had 999 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger communes that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Culture and heritage
- The Fountains of Beaufort are classed as a Sensitive natural area.
- Joseph Vacher (1869-1896), a criminal, considered to be one of the first serial killers in France was born in the commune.
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually and the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Beaufort on Lion1906
- Inhabitants of (French)
- Beaufort on Google Maps
- Beaufort on the Géoportail from National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Beaufort on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Beaufort on the 1790 Cassini Map
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Discover the Espaces Naturels Sensibles of Isère, www.isere.fr, p. 26 (consulted on 22 July 2014) (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beaufort (Isère).|