Kroombit Tops National Park
|Kroombit Tops National Park
|Nearest town or city||Biloela|
|Area||74.6 km2 (28.8 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service|
|Website||Kroombit Tops National Park|
|See also||Protected areas of Queensland|
Kroombit Tops is a national park in Central Queensland, Australia. Located between Monto and Calliope in The Boyne Valley, it is 399 km northwest of Brisbane. Cania Gorge National Park is located approximately 25 km to the south.
Recreational activities conducted in the park include birdwatching, off road driving and bushwalking. Camping is permitted.
The park provides refuge for the Kroombit tinker frog which has only been found within the park. The species is so rare that estimates of their number only range in the hundreds. In 2013, a new species of marsupial, the silver-headed antechinus, was described that is found only in the national park.
On 2 August 1994, the wreckage of a United States Army Air Forces Consolidated B-24D Liberator, Beautiful Betsy, was discovered in the park. The aircraft had gone missing in stormy weather on 26 February 1945 while on a "Fat Cat" run from Darwin to Brisbane - transporting men and supplies as part of a regular flight.
- Dunn, Peter. "CRASH OF A B-24D LIBERATOR "BEAUTIFUL BETSY" KROOMBIT TOPS FOREST NEAR BILOELA ON 26 FEBRUARY 1945". www.ozatwar.com. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Kroombit Tops National Park". Tourism Queensland. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- Jacquie Mackay (17 February 2009). "Search for the Kroombit tinkerfrog". ABC Capricornia. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- "A new dasyurid marsupial from Kroombit Tops, south-east Queensland, Australia". Zootaxa. doi:10.11646/zootaxa.3746.2.1. OCLC 49030618. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Minister denies Kroombit brumby shoot plans". ABC News Online. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 22 January 2003. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- Michael V. Nelmes Tocumwal to Tarakan : Australians and the Consolidated B-24 Liberator Belconnen. Banner Books, 1994.