Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
|"Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"|
|Single by John Lennon|
|from the album Double Fantasy|
|B-side||"Watching the Wheels"|
|Released||11 April 1981|
|Producer(s)||John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Jack Douglas|
|John Lennon singles chronology|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album Miracle|
|Released||11 October 2004|
|Recorded||2004 Digital Insights Recording, Chartmarker Studios, Sony Studios|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
Paul McCartney has stated this is one of his favourite songs composed by Lennon, and when he appeared on Desert Island Discs in 1982 included it as his favourite in his selection, as did Yoko Ono as the only John Lennon song in 2007. 
The song was written for Lennon's son Sean, his only child with Yoko Ono. It begins with John comforting his son from what is presumably a nightmare and develops into John passionately describing the love he has for his son and the joy Sean gave him.
At the end of the song, John Lennon whispers "Good night, Sean. See you in the morning. Bright and early." in a similar fashion to what Ringo Starr whispers at the end of the Beatles song "Good Night", which was a song written by John Lennon for his other son, Julian Lennon.
The lyrics of "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" contain the famous Lennon quote "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." However, the expression of this sentiment can be traced back to a 1957 Reader's Digest article, which attributes it to Allen Saunders.
- John Lennon – vocals, acoustic guitar
- Earl Slick – acoustic guitar
- Hugh McCracken – lead guitar
- Tony Levin – bass
- George Small – keyboards
- Andy Newmark – drums
- Robert Greenidge – steel drum
- Arthur Jenkins – percussion
Celine Dion version
The song reached number two on the Quebec Airplay Chart. "Beautiful Boy" was also popular on adult contemporary charts, peaking at number 18 in the US and number 32 in Canada. It also reached number 30 on the Hungarian Airplay Chart.
Dion performed this song on a few US TV shows, including Live with Regis and Kelly.
|Canada AC (Billboard)||32|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||30|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||18|
- Former Monkee Micky Dolenz covered the song on his 1991 album, Micky Dolenz Puts You to Sleep.
- A cover of the song by Richard Dreyfuss was included in the 1995 film Mr. Holland's Opus.
- In 1998, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" was covered by Japanese trio Dreams Come True as the B-side to their "Ahaha" single, which was later released on a 65th anniversary tribute album in 2005.
- In 2006, it was covered by UK rock band Feeder as part of a tribute album, given away with Q magazine, titled Lennon: Covered Vol 2.
- In 2007, it was covered by Ben Harper for the benefit album Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur.
- In 2014, it was played during chapter 6 of the DreamWorks movie Mr. Peabody & Sherman as background during Mr. Peabody's journey through his memories of Sherman as he grew up. The end credits indicate Beautiful Boy was sung by John Lennon. The song was also included as track 7 on the movie soundtrack.
- The Israeli singer Alma Zohar translated the song and performed it in Hebrew.
- "Paul McCartney: Desert Island Discs". BBC. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Yoko Ono: Desert Island Discs". BBC. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Life is What Happens To You While You're Busy Making Other Plans". Quote Investigator. 6 May 2012. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- "Celine Dion – Chart history" Billboard Canada AC for Celine Dion. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Le Palmarès". ADISQ. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Celine Dion – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Celine Dion. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- DCT Official Singles
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman