Beautiful Girls (Sean Kingston song)
|Single by Sean Kingston|
|from the album Sean Kingston|
|Released||May 26, 2007|
|Format||CD single, ringle|
|Recorded||2004-06 citation needed|
|Genre||R&B, doo-wop, reggae fusion|
|Length||4:02 (Album Version)
3:43 (Radio Edit)
|Label||Epic, Geffen, Viacom, Koch|
|Writer(s)||Sly "Pyper" Jordan, J.R. Rotem, Kisean Anderson, Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller|
|Sean Kingston singles chronology|
"Beautiful Girls" is the debut single by reggae-influenced musician Sean Kingston from his eponymous debut; it was first released in 2009 citation needed. The song samples Ben E. King's classic "Stand by Me" and uses digital pitch correction technology on the vocals. The song is about a boy who is suicidal (or rather "in denial" in the edited version) over the failure of his relationship with a "beautiful girl". It is Kingston's signature song.
- 1 Lyrics controversy
- 2 Track listing
- 3 Official remixes
- 4 Official versions
- 5 Chart performance
- 6 Charts and certifications
- 7 Covers
- 8 Parodies
- 9 Use in media
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Certain radio stations (mostly AC or hot AC stations, including Radio Disney), play the censored version of the song, which replaces "you had me suicidal, suicidal" with "you got me in denial, in denial." On MTV the word "suicidal" is completely removed with no replacement. On BET, Fuse and MuchMusic, as well as several top 40, urban and rhythmic top 40 and AC stations, "suicidal" was left intact.
Due to the lyrics containing references to suicide, the track has been removed from many radio playlists including FM104 in Dublin, where complaints were phoned in on a late night chat show, The Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow, and Wild 102 in Roseau, Minnesota. It was allegedly pulled from two FM although a spokesperson said the song is currently not on its playlist but could not confirm if it had been in the past. FM104 replaced "suicidal" with "in denial", a change Sean Kingston made for the radio station.
US Promo CD
- "Beautiful Girls" (main version) - 3:45
- "Beautiful Girls" (instrumental) - 3:45
- "Beautiful Girls" (a cappella) - 3:45
UK CD single
- "Beautiful Girls" (album version) - 4:02
- "Beautiful Girls" (a Cappella) - 3:41
- "Beautiful Girls" (instrumental) - 3:40
- "Beautiful Girls" (remix) (Featuring Fabolous & Lil' Boosie) - 3:27
- "Beautiful Girls" (video)
- Official Remix Featuring Fabolous & Lil' Boosie (3:28)
- Official Remix Featuring AC (4:12)
- Official Remix Featuring Lil' Mama (3:50)
- Main Version, Radio Edit - 3:43
- Album Version, LP Version - 4:02
- Clean Radio Edit - 3:43 (Credited also as 'Radio Disney Version' or 'Nickelodeon Mix' on the iCarly soundtrack)
- Extended Version, Video Version - 4:17
The song benefited from extensive airplay before its digital release, reaching as high as #17 on the Hot 100. On July 24, "Beautiful Girls" was accidentally leaked onto the U.S. iTunes Store, two days before the planned release date. The week after the song's digital release it hit number one on Billboard's Hot Digital Songs, debuting with 260,000 downloads in its first week (the second highest digital sales for a new song of 2007, only behind Rihanna's "Umbrella"). Kingston became the first artist born within the 1990s to top the Hot 100, beating rapper Soulja Boy Tell 'Em to it by six weeks. It has also gone on to occupy the top spot on the U.S. Hot 100 Airplay and the Canadian Hot 100. It remained on top of the UK Singles Chart for four weeks before being knocked off by the Sugababes' first single from their 5th studio album Change, "About You Now". The song ended 2007 as the year's 15th biggest-selling single in the UK. On the official ARIA charts in Australia it debuted at #1, fell to #2 when Delta Goodrem's comeback single took the top spot. "Beautiful Girls" returned the next week and remained for a month before being replaced by Timbaland's "The Way I Are".
Charts and certifications
A few months after "Beautiful Girls" was released in 2007, a new online video service called Votigo began a cover contest in which fans could submit covers of the song for a chance to get a call from Sean Kingston. After an online vote user Mallory Robbins won with an a cappella version of the song. Top honors also went to a rock cover of the song performed by the Ailan Christopher Project. Shortly afterward, recording artist JoJo released a cover response version of the track which was released on MySpace, however will not be featured on her upcoming album. Chris Moyles also released a parody cover, however it was about the song describing how bad it was in his opinion.
The Lead Singer of Sublime, Rome, sang the Acoustic version of "Beautiful Girls" on RAWsession on October 20, 2008.
The Plain White T's, whose song was knocked out of the charts by this one, did a cover version for Yahoo Music. Lead vocalist Tom Higgenson says that the group "started covering it as a joke almost. We started learning it because we were number one for a few weeks and then we got knocked out of the number one spot by Sean Kingston, by this song. It's kind of like an ode to Sean." To close out the song guitarist Mike Retondo breaks into the chorus of "Stand by Me", which is also done in the cover version by Boyce Avenue, a nod to the fact that that song's bassline is used in "Beautiful Girls". Maverick Sabre did the same at BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge.
Teddy Geiger covered the song on his 2007 tour, due to popularity a recorded version of the song will be featured as a bonus track on the iTunes version of his upcoming CD The March.
Lil' Brianna remixed the song and featured Kingston's vocals on her second mixtape, Princess of Miami.
Boyband JLS performed a mashup of "Beautiful Girls" and "Stand by Me" as their bottom two performance on the fifth series of the UK TV show The X Factor. A year later on Series 6 of the show, Lloyd Daniels sang the chorus and last verse of the song in his November 30, 2008 performance, also singing King's original "Stand By Me".
BAMF! recorded a version entitled "Bootyfull Girl".
Beautiful Girls Reply
|"Beautiful Girls Reply"|
|Song by JoJo|
|Released||July 20, 2007|
|Writer||Joanna "JoJo" Levesque|
"Beautiful Girls" is a song by American pop and R&B singer JoJo. On July 20, 2007, the cover response version to "Beautiful Girls" by Sean Kingston leaked on the Internet called "Beautiful Girls Reply" by JoJo. The song samples Ben E. King's classic "Stand by Me" and uses digital pitch correction technology on the vocals. Whereas Kingston's version is about a boy who is suicidal over the failure of his relationship with a "beautiful girl", JoJo speaks from a girl's perspective.
The song debuted at number thirty-nine on the Billboard Rhythmic Top 40 chart one month after its release.
|US Billboard Rhythmic Top 40||39|
- Chris Moyles and Comedy Dave from BBC Radio 1 have produced a popular parody, Sean Krapston - A Suicidal song.
- Kel Mitchell has produced a song on his MySpace called "Scariest Girl".
- Panamanian reggae group Comando Tiburón made a parody of the song in Spanish, called "No Llores Más" (Don't cry no more).
Use in media
This song is also featured in the 2008 monster film Cloverfield, and on The CW's Gossip Girl. The "suicidal" version of the song, which ends differently from the single mix is also featured in the video game SingStar Hottest Hits.
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 2007 (U.S.)
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 2007 (Canada)
- List of number-one singles of 2007 (Ireland)
- List of number-one singles in Australia in 2007
- List of number-one singles from the 2000s (New Zealand)
- List of number-one singles from the 2000s (UK)
- List of European number-one hits of 2007
- Independent.ie - Station bans hit song about suicide (September 21, 2007)
- BillBoard.com - Kingston Has 'Beautiful' View Atop Revamped Hot 100 (August 2, 2007)
- Breaking Music News - Music Business Information - Music Industry Sales
- BBC Music. "Top 40 Singles of the Year 2007 ". Retrieved 2007-12-30
- "Australian-charts.com – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Sean Kingston Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Sean Kingston.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200739 into search.
- "Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten.
- "Sean Kingston Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Sean Kingston.
- "Sean Kingston: Beautiful Girls" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Sean Kingston Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 37, 2007". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". VG-lista.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200738 into search.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Sean Kingston: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "Sean Kingston Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Sean Kingston.
- "Sean Kingston Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Sean Kingston.
- "Sean Kingston Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Sean Kingston.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2007". Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- [dead link]
- "Officla UK Singles Chart of 2007" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- [dead link]
- "Promusicae 2008" (PDF) (in Spanish). PROMUSICAE. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2007 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Brazilian single certifications – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian single certifications – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". Music Canada.
- "Guld og platin i November" (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Archived from the original on August 7, 2009.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand.
- "Top 20 Canciones - Semana 33: del 11 al 17 de agosto de 2008" (PDF) (in Spanish). PROMUSICAE. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- "British single certifications – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Beautiful Girls in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Sean Kingston – Beautiful Girls". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Top 20 Tonos Originales - Semana 31: del 28 de julio al 3 de agosto de 2008" (PDF) (in Spanish). PROMUSICAE. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- "Yahoo Music - Beautiful Girls: Pepsi Smash Exclusive Cover Art by Plain White T's". Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- "Maverick Sabre - Beautiful Girl/Stand By Me in the Live Lounge". YouTube. 2012-06-21. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "WHO SANG IT BETTER? JOJO VS. SEAN KINGSTON".
- Chart Data: JoJo
- "Chart Data: JoJo". Mariah-charts.com. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- Download of Sean Krapston - A Suicidal song