Beauty & the Beast (1982 video game)
|Beauty & the Beast|
|Release||December 31, 1982|
Beauty & the Beast is a platform game written by Wendell Brown for the Intellivision and released on December 31, 1982 by Imagic. It is a single-player game with a concept similar to Nintendo's Donkey Kong.
In the game, the player takes the role of Bashful Buford who must save Tiny Mabel from the giant Horrible Hank. In order to save Tiny Mabel, the player must climb up a building while avoiding things thrown by Horrible Hank. Hearts come from Mabel which makes Buford invincible for a short time. Once the player saves Mabel, the giant dies by falling off the building.
Intellivision Lives! released an emulated version of the game bundled with B-17 Bomber and Shark! Shark!
In How to Win at Home Video Games, the reviewer wrote: "Beauty and the Beast is actually Imagic's answer Donkey Kong's theme, 'climb the building to save the girl.' Surprising, however, it's a beauty of a game that we recommend to video beasts of all skill levels."
It was also reviewed by TeleMatch and Tilt.
In 2018, a remake was announced for the Intellivision Amico.
- ^ a b Hague, James, The Giant List of Classic Game Programmers
- ^ a b "Beauty & the Beast". IGN. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- ^ Loguidice, Bill (February 24, 2013). Vintage Game Consoles: An Inside Look at Apple, Atari, Commodore, Nintendo, and the Greatest Gaming Platforms of All Time. CRC Press. p. 74. ISBN 9781135006518.
- ^ a b How to Win at Home Video Games. Publications International. 1982. p. 54.
- ^ Weiss, Brett (March 7, 2012). Classic Home Video Games, 1972–1984: A Complete Reference Guide. McFarland. p. 213. ISBN 9780786487554.
- ^ Kohler, Chris (October 12, 2005). Retro Gaming Hacks: Tips & Tools for Playing the Classics. O'Reilly Media, Inc. p. 243. ISBN 9781449303907.
- ^ "Beauty & the Beast". TeleMatch (in French). February 1983. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- ^ "Beauty and the Beast". Tilt (in French). August 1983. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- ^ "Intellivision® Reveals Initial Details For The Upcoming Amico™ Home Video Game Console!". PR Newswire.