|AHFS/Drugs.com||Consumer Drug Information|
|(what is this?)|
Becaplermin (brand name Regranex) is a cicatrizant, available as a topical gel. Regranex is a human platelet-derived growth factor indicated along with good wound care for the treatment of lower extremity diabetic neuropathic ulcers.  It is also known as "platelet-derived growth factor BB".
The drug is used for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers. Studies of becaplermin showed that when used with good wound care, complete healing significantly increased and the ulcers healed on average 6 weeks faster. Pharmacoeconomic studies reinforce the cost effectiveness of becaplermin as an adjunct to good wound care.
The amount of becaplermin to be applied will vary depending upon the size of the ulcer area. Becaplermin should be stored in the refrigerator.  Analysis of healing human wounds showed that PDGF-BB induces fibroblast proliferation and differentiation and was found to increase healing in patients with decreased healing capacity, such as people living with diabetes. 
A boxed warning has been added to the safety label to describe an increase rate of death from cancer when three or more tubes are used. Regranex should be used with caution in patients with known malignancy.
- becaplermin at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
- Nagai MK, Embil JM (February 2002). "Becaplermin: recombinant platelet derived growth factor, a new treatment for healing diabetic foot ulcers". Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2 (2): 211–8. doi:10.1517/147125188.8.131.52. PMID 11849120.
- Wieman TJ, Smiell JM, Su Y. Efficacy and safety of a topical gel formulation of recombinant human platelet-derived growth factor-BB (becaplermin) in patients with chronic neuropathic diabetic ulcers. A phase III randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study. Diabetes Care. 1998;21:822-827.
- Albert S. Cost-effective management of recalcitrant diabetic foot ulcers. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2002;19:483-491. Persson U, Willis M, Odegaard K, Apelqvist J. The cost-effectiveness of treating diabetic lower extremity ulcers with becaplermin (Regranex): a core model with an application using Swedish cost data. Value Health. 2000;3 Suppl 1:39-46.
- Heldin CH, Westermark B. Mechanism of action and in vivo role of platelet-derived growth factor. Physiol Rev. 1999;79:1283-1316.
- FDA Professional Drug Information for Regranex.
- Medscape Article