Tobin at a Trevor Project event in 2013
|Born||Rebecca Melise Tobin
January 18, 1986
Marietta, Georgia, U.S.
|Alma mater||American Musical and Dramatic Academy|
|Spouse(s)||Zach Martin (m. 2016)|
Tobin grew up in Marietta, Georgia, the youngest of two daughters. Both of her parents were attorneys. Tobin's first acting performance was at age four, when she played a Christmas tree in her school's holiday pageant. For high school, Tobin was predominantly educated at Pebblebrook High School, but she transferred to Joseph Wheeler High School halfway through her senior year and was a victim of bullying as a result. Because of the bullying, Tobin did not walk at her graduation. She is an alumna of the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City, from which she graduated in 2007.
Tobin began her professional career on the stage in Houston, in a Theatre Under the Stars production of the musical Cats. She performed as Etcetera in the ensemble cast. The following year, she starred in the ensemble of the Theater Under the Stars' production of West Side Story, also in Houston. In 2008, Tobin performed in the ensemble of Paper Mill Playhouse's production of High School Musical on Stage! in New Jersey. From 2008 to 2009, she performed in the ensemble of Oklahoma! in Atlanta with the Theater of the Stars company. Tobin made her Broadway debut as a replacement for the role of Sherrie Christian and a swing for the musical Rock of Ages. In 2011, she toured with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
From 2012 until its ending in 2015, Tobin portrayed cheerleader and glee club member Kitty Wilde in the Fox musical comedy-drama television series Glee. She made her first appearance as the character in the fourth season premiere episode "The New Rachel", and was a regular recurring cast member for throughout that season. She was upgraded to a main cast member for the series' fifth season. Kitty's debut received a mixed reception from critics, but opinions on the character soon changed. Several songs performed by Tobin as Kitty on the series have been released as singles available for digital download, and have also featured on the soundtrack albums.
In 2014, Tobin guest starred in Lifetime's legal comedy-drama series Drop Dead Diva as Empress Katia in the episode "Afterlife". That same year, she appeared as Kimmee Kittson in the episode "Passing the Torch" of ABC Family's sitcom Mystery Girls. In 2015, Tobin guest starred as Blaze Talcott, a computer coder, in an episode of CBS' procedural action-drama series NCIS: Los Angeles titled "Blaze of Glory". Since December 2015, Tobin has co-hosted the female-centric podcast series "The Lady Gang" with Keltie Knight and Jac Vanek.
Tobin was in a relationship with nightclub entrepreneur Matt Bendik until his death on July 10, 2014. She became engaged to entrepreneur Zach Martin in May 2016. They married in a private ceremony, officiated by Tobin's Glee co-star Jane Lynch, in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on December 3, 2016.
|2009||Wiener & Wiener||Heather||Episode: "Beyonce's Walk-In Closet"|
|2012–15||Glee||Kitty Wilde||42 episodes|
|2014||Drop Dead Diva||Empress Katia||Episode: "Afterlife"|
|2014||Mystery Girls||Kimmee Kittson||Episode: "Passing the Torch"|
|2015||NCIS: Los Angeles||Blaze Talcott||Episode: "Blaze of Glory"|
|2016||Dropping the Soap||Tammy O'Rourke||Episode: "Julian's Choice"|
|2016||SINs||Cordelia Jagger||Web series; 6 episodes|
|2016||Before You Say I Do||Jessica Bender||In post-production|
|2005||Cats||Etcetera||Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, Houston|
|2006–07||West Side Story||Velma the Jet|
|2008||High School Musical on Stage!||Ensemble||Paper Mill Playhouse, New Jersey|
|2008–09||Oklahoma!||Ensemble||Fox Theatre, Atlanta|
|2009–11||Rock of Ages||Sherrie Christian||Brooks Atkinson Theatre, Broadway|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Villain||Glee||Nominated|
- "Interview: Cobb native Becca Tobin shines in "Glee" role". AJC.com. January 2, 2013. Archived from the original on January 5, 2013.
- "Glee's Becca Tobin Shares Christmas Flashback: Her 'Hilarious' and 'Awkward' First Role". Celebuzz.com. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Becca Tobin Opens Up About Being Bullied in High School – and Reveals What's Next for Kitty on Glee Season 4! Exclusive". Wetpaint.com. November 2012.
- "Alumna Becca Tobin Joins "Glee"!". American Musical and Dramatic Academy. November 8, 2012.
- Jones, Kenneth (December 6, 2005). "Cats in Houston Gets Broadway Vets – Veterans, Not Veterinarians – Dec. 6-18". Playbill.
- Gans, Andrew (November 5, 2008). "Paper's Mill's High School Musical Begins Performances Nov. 5". Playbill.
- Hetrick, Adam (June 24, 2008). "Oklahoma! Saddles Up for Atlanta's Theater of the Stars June 24". Playbill.
- "Broadway Vet Becca Tobin and Melissa Benoist Join Glee's New Freshman Class". Broadway.com. August 2, 2012.
- Gioia, Michael (August 2, 2012). "Becca Tobin and Melissa Benoist Join Fox's "Glee"; Ryan Murphy Dishes on Upcoming Season Via Twitter". Playbill.
- Ausiello, Michael (June 28, 2013). "UPDATED Glee Exclusive: 4 Original Cast Members are Returning as Series Regulars for Season 5; Plus – Who's Getting Promoted?". TVLine. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "'Glee' Star Dianna Agron Talks Quinn's Thanksgiving Return, Kitty and Catfights With Santana (Q&A)". Celebuzz.com. November 15, 2012.
- Gadjewski, Ryan (April 24, 2014). "Glee Cast Member Lands Role on Drop Dead Diva". Wetpaint.com.
- Leffler, Samantha (August 7, 2014). "See Becca Tobin on Mystery Girls Set (PHOTO)". Wetpaint.com.
- Pena, Azalea (March 24, 2015). "'NCIS: LA' season 6 spoilers: Deeks and Kensi reveal their relationship in episode 18, Blaze Talcott becomes part of the team for a case in episode 19". Christian Today.
- Shewfelt, Raechal Leone (December 7, 2015). "Lea Michele and Other Celebs to Join the New 'Fempire'". Yahoo! News.
- Chiu, Melody (July 11, 2014). "Glee Star Becca Tobin's Boyfriend Found Dead, Cause of Death Unknown". People. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Johnson, Zach (May 17, 2016). "Glee's Becca Tobin Is Engaged to Zach Martin". E! News. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- Sands, Nicole (December 3, 2016). "It's a Glee-union! Lea Michele Shares Photo with Cast at Becca Tobin's Wedding". People.
- Cuccinelli, Jamie (December 4, 2016). "Glee's Becca Tobin is Married! See Her Exclusive Wedding Photos". Brides.
- "Becca Tobin joins BullyVille.com to help put an end to bullying!". PR Newswire. November 9, 2012.
- ""Glee" Newcomer Becca Tobin Strips for Maxim". TooFab.com. April 18, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Becca Tobin.|