||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health|
|Preceded by||Terry Mason, MD|
|Born||1973 (age 43–44)
Bechara Choucair, M.D., M.S. (born 1973) is Senior Vice President of Safety Net & Community Health at Trinity Health in Livonia, MI. He previously served as the Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health.
Chicago Department of Public Health
Choucair was appointed as Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health on November 25, 2009, by Mayor Richard M. Daley, and reaffirmed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel upon his election. He stepped down from the post in December 2014. Choucair oversaw one of the nation’s largest and most complex public health agencies with an annual operating budget of over $160 million serving over 2.7 million residents in Chicago.
Together with Mayor Emanuel, Choucair launched Healthy Chicago in August 2011, the City’s first comprehensive public health agenda. He led the effort to secure more than $60 million in new funding for a broad range of programs including major initiatives in obesity, tobacco, teen pregnancy prevention, comparative effectiveness research and community transformation data collection. Choucair reformed the department clinical services by creating new partnerships with the private, not-for-profit sector, saving taxpayers over $13 million annually while improving access to care. He launched many systems level change initiatives to address obesity including a Mobile Produce Cart and PlayStreets in different Chicago neighborhoods.
Choucair has an appointment at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine as an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine.
- 2009-2014 Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health
- 2001-2005: Crusader Community Health, Medical Director
- 2005-2009: Heartland Alliance for Human Rights & Human Needs, Vice President of Poverty Medicine
- 2005-2009: Heartland International Health Center, Executive Director & Medical Director
- 1990-1993: American University of Beirut, B.S. Chemistry
- 1993-1997: American University of Beirut, M.D.
- 1997-2000: Baylor College of Medicine, Family Medicine Residency
- 2009: University of Texas, Dallas, Masters in Health Care Management
Awards and honors
- Original, Peer-Reviewed Research Articles
- Survey of a Bekaa Community Health Needs, LMJ 47:1:13-17, 1999, Jamal N, Choucair B, Khalil H, Hamadeh G.
- Health Care for the Homeless in America, Am Fam Physician, 2006 Oct 1;74(7):1132-8.
- Homelessness and Healthcare: Considerations for Evaluation, Management, and Support within the Primary Care Domain, Disease-a-Month, 2010 Dec 56(12):719-733. Koon A, Kantayya V, Choucair B.
- Program to Improve Colorectal Cancer Screening in Low-Income, Racially Diverse Population: A Randomized Controlled Trial, Annals of Family Medicine, 2012 Sept/October 10 (5): 412-417. Jean-Jacques M., Kaleba E., Gatta J., Gracia G., Ryan E., Choucair, B.
- Chicago Health Atlas: Engaging in Public Health Surveillance Beyond the Confines of the Local Health Department, NACCHO Exchange, winter 2013 12(1). Jones R, Choucair B., O’Neil D., Kho A. Regional Extension Center.
- Select Abstracts
- An Innovative Governmental Approach to Childhood Obesity Prevention in Chicago: The Inter-Departmental Task Force on Childhood Obesity, 2010. American Public Health Association 138th Annual Meeting and Expo. Choucair B, Harrington J, Herd J, Becker A, Bozlak C.
- Poverty Medicine Collaborative: Global Health Experience for Medical Students. 2008. American Academy of Family Physicians Global Health Conference. Choucair B, Koon A.
- "Public Health Leadership". City of Chicago.
- "Choucair Appointed Commissioner of Public Health". Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
- "Bechara Choucair, MD". Illinois.gov.
- "City of Chicago 2013 Budget Overview" (PDF). City of Chicago.
- "City Gets New Prescription for Better Health". Chicago Tribune.
- "Healthy Chicago" (PDF). City of Chicago.
- "Shaping Healthy Behaviors with PlayStreets". Chicago Medical Society.
- "Bechara N Choucair, MD/MS Profile". Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
- "Friend For Life Award". Howard Brown Health Center.