Becker Professional Education
Becker is best known as the largest provider of training for candidates who are preparing to sit for the United States (US) CPA Exam in order to become Certified Public Accountants. Becker offers its CPA Exam Review in the form of live classes (which take place in locations throughout the US and around the world), as well as online courses, and a self-study course on disc.
As a measure of its influence on the accounting industry, the AICPA's Journal of Accountancy estimated that as many as half of the CPAs in the United States have passed the CPA Exam with the help of Becker's course.
Originally developed in 1957 by accountant and entrepreneur Newton Becker as a training course for fellow employees of Price Waterhouse, Becker CPA Review was launched as an independent company in 1960. The company grew rapidly, and by the 1980s it had classroom locations in more than 90 cities. Becker eventually sold the company to DeVry in 1996, partly due to changes in the industry.
In addition to its CPA Exam Review, Becker currently offers exam preparation for a number of other international accounting credentials: Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and Diploma in International Financial Reporting (DipIFR) certifications. Becker also provides continuing professional education (CPE) and project management training.
In 2012, Becker acquired Falcon Physician Reviews and expanded into the healthcare education field. Through Falcon, Becker now offers review programs for physicians who are preparing for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX).
- Hale, Sarah (May 3, 2001). "Changes Could Make Grueling CPA Test Even Tougher". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Plys, Cate (January 5, 1988). "Programs multiply to assist students taking CPA exam". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Linecker, Adelia Cellini (January 26, 2011). "Set Up Your Study Path". Investor's Business Daily. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Jason Alba; Manisha Bathija; Matt Thornton (2005). Vault Career Guide to Accounting. New York, NY: Vault Inc. p. 125. ISBN 1-58131-328-4.
- Tysiac, Ken (January 4, 2012). "CPA exam prep innovator Newton D. Becker dies at 83". Journal of Accountancy. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Ziemba, Stanley (June 20, 1996). "DeVry Acquires CPA Training Firm". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "DeVry Unit Acquires Falcon Physician Reviews". NASDAQ.com. April 3, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.