Sport Relief 2014 Special
|"Sport Relief special"|
|Only Fools and Horses episode|
|Directed by||Tony Dow|
|Written by||Jim Sullivan, Dan Sullivan and John Sullivan|
|Produced by||Clyde Holcroft|
|Production code||Special edition|
|Original air date||
21 March 2014|
(9.53 million viewers)
The Sport Relief special, also referred to as "Beckham in Peckham" was an edition of the BBC sit-com, Only Fools and Horses, recorded as part of the Sport Relief 2014 appeal. It was screened on 21 March 2014. Actors David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst reprised their roles as Del Boy and Rodney in the sketch written by Jim Sullivan and Dan Sullivan, which included previously unused material written by their father John Sullivan, who created and wrote every episode of the series. David Beckham guest starred. Beckham was also the person that got in touch with Jim Sullivan, the son of the late Only Fools and Horses creator John Sullivan about doing something for Sport Relief 2014.
An unspecified amount of time after the series' last regular episode "Sleepless in Peckham," Del Boy is in Peckham market, trying to sell "Golden Balls" underpants which are supposedly endorsed and signed by David Beckham (in return for Del Boy securing a bouncy castle for the birthday party of one of Beckham's children), with Rodney serving as a less-than-enthusiastic model. After failing to sell anything, the Trotters retreat to a nearby cafe, where Rodney complains about Del's treatment of him. Del apologises, mentioning several incidents where he had mistreated Rodney. (These being incidents from previous regular Only Fools and Horses episodes.) Sharing the table with the two is David Beckham, who it turns out actually has endorsed the underpants. The three briefly chat, including Rodney and Beckham discussing their favourite artist (Rodney choosing Matisse, and Beckham choosing Tony Hart), before Beckham gives Rodney tips on how to model underwear effectively, advising him to "glide" and "oscillate."
Later on, Del is again trying to sell the underpants, with Rodney putting on a bizarre, vaguely feminine walk, and being even more angry at Del than he was before. Beckham is discreetly watching this, when a young boy walks up to him, and asks him if he's David Beckham. He says that he is, and signs the boy's football, but says not to tell anyone he is there, as he does not want too much attention. Beckham then attempts to lean back on a goods cart, but a trader moves it away while he isn't looking and he falls to the ground (referencing a famous moment in the episode "Yuppy Love"), getting the attention of everyone in the market. Del and Rodney comment, "What a plonker!"
|David Jason||Del Boy|
|Joe Sullivan||Young Boy|
- "Football legend David Beckham to join Del and Rodney in Only Fools and Horses sketch for Sport Relief | Shazam Productions". shazamtv.com. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Sport Relief peaks with 9.53 million viewers for Only Fools and Horses - TV News - Digital Spy". digitalspy.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- The Independent
- "Del Boy and Rodney to return for a one-off Only Fools and Horses sketch for Sport Relief | Shazam Productions". shazamtv.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-05. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Rodders, meet Dave Peckham: Footballer makes guest appearance in Only Fools and Horses charity sketch". Daily Mail. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "I was such a nervous wreck about Only Fools part I couldn't sleep, says David Beckham". Irish Independent. 11 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Beckham can 'die a happy man' after filming Only Fools sketch for Sport Relief". Daily Mail. 11 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Sport Relief sketch | Shazam Productions". shazamtv.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-05. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "BBC News - David Beckham to appear in Only Fools and Horses". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Del Boy and Rodney to return in Only Fools and Horses sketch". The Independent. 4 January 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Digital Spy
- "Sport Relief 2014 Special" on IMDb
- Sport Relief TV revealed
- Only Fools and Horses sketch to appear on Sport Relief
- David Beckham to appear in Only Fools and Horses
- Sport Relief 2014: David Beckham in Only Fools and Horses
- Only Fools and Horses to return with new sketch for Sport Relief
"Sleepless in Peckham"
| Only Fools and Horses
21 March 2014 (Sport Relief special)