Becky Cloonan at the 2011 New York Comic Con.
June 23, 1980
|Channel Zero: Jennie One
East Coast Rising
Pixu: The Mark of Evil
Becky Cloonan (born 23 June 1980) is an American comic book creator, known for work published by Tokyopop and Vertigo. In 2012 she became the first female artist to draw the main Batman title for DC Comics.
Cloonan created minicomics and was part of the Meathaus collective before collaborating with Brian Wood on Channel Zero: Jennie One in 2003. Since then, her profile (and workload) has steadily risen; her best-known work to date has been the twelve-issue comics series Demo (2004), also with Wood. Wizard named Demo its 2004 "Indie of the Year." The series was also nominated for two Eisner Awards in 2005, for Best Limited Series and Best Single Issue or One-Shot (the latter of which was for Demo #7, "One Shot, Don't Miss").
Cloonan's first solo graphic novel, East Coast Rising Volume 1, was released by Tokyopop in 2006. East Coast Rising: Volume 1 marked Cloonan's third Eisner Award nomination in 2007, this time for Best New Series. She also collaborated with writer Steven T. Seagle on the Vertigo Comics series American Virgin, which was cancelled with the 23rd issue. In 2012 she became the first woman to draw the main Batman title.
In 2015, she was voted #3 of the top 50 female comics artists of all-time. She was also one of only two creators to make the list as both writer and artist, voted #14 among all-time top writers.
- Meathaus #6-8 (w/a, Meathaus Press, 2002–2006)
- nebuli (w/a, with Vasilis Lolos, 2006)
- 5 (w/a, with Rafael Grampá, Gabriel Bá, Fábio Moon, and Vasilis Lolos, 2007)
- MINIS (w/a, collection of original mini-comics, 2007)
- Bury Your Treasure (w/a, collection of illustrations, 2008)
- Pixu: the Mark of Evil #1-2 (w/a, with Gabriel Bá, Fábio Moon, and Vasilis Lolos, 2008)
- Wolves (w/a, 2011)
- The Mire (w/a, 2012)
- Demeter (w/a, 2013)
Dark Horse Comics
- 9-11 Volume 1: "Untitled" (w/a, anthology graphic novel, 196 pages, 2002, ISBN 1-56389-881-0)
- MySpace Dark Horse Presents #16: "I See the Devil in My Sleep" (w/a, 2008) collected in Volume 3 (tpb, 168 pages, 2009, ISBN 1-59582-327-1)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales of the Vampires: "The Thrill" (w, with Vasilis Lolos, one-shot, 2009) collected in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales (hc, 288 pages, 2011, ISBN 1-59582-644-0)
- The Guild: Zaboo: "Zaboo's Escape" (a, with Felicia Day and Sandeep Parikh, one-shot, 2011)
- Conan the Barbarian #1-3, 7 (a, with Brian Wood, 2012)
- B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth — The Pickens County Horror #1-2 (covers only, 2012)
- The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #1-#6 (a, with Gerard Way and Shaun Simon, 2013)
- Flight Volume 2: "Heads Up" (w/a, with Vasilis Lolos, anthology graphic novel, 432 pages, 2005, ISBN 1-58240-477-1)
- NYC Mech: beta LOVE #4 (cover only, 2005)
- 24Seven Volume 1: "In for a Pound" (a, with John G and Leland Purvis, anthology graphic novel, 224 pages, 2006, ISBN 1-58240-636-7)
- The Pirates of Coney Island #1-6 (covers only, 2006–2007)
- Hack/Slash #10 (cover only, 2011)
- Thought Bubble Anthology (cover only, one-shot, 2011)
- Pigs #4 (cover only, 2011)
- "Southern Cross"
- American Virgin (a, with Steven T. Seagle, 2006–2008) collected as:
- Demo Volume II #1-6 (a, with Brian Wood, 2010) collected as Demo Volume II (tpb, 160 pages, 2011, ISBN 1-4012-2995-6)
- Northlanders #35-36: "The Girl in the Ice" (a, with Brian Wood, 2011) collected in Northlanders: Metal (tpb, 192 pages, 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3160-8)
- Batman #12
- Swamp Thing Annual #1
- Strange Tales I #3: "Here Comes the King Crab!" (w/a, 2010) collected in ST2 (hc, 144 pages, 2011, ISBN 0785148221; tpb, 2011, ISBN 078514823X)
- Nation X #2: "Cajun Justice!" (w/a, 2010) collected in Nation X (hc, 360 pages, 2010, ISBN 0785138730; tpb, 2010, ISBN 0785141030)
- Osborn #5 (a, with Kelly Sue Deconnick and Emma Rios, Marvel, 2011) collected in Osborn: Evil Incarcerated (tpb, 120 pages, 2011, ISBN 0785151753)
- Revolving Hammer: "Aunty" (a, with Walter Conley, anthology, Cyberosia Publishing, 2002)
- Altered Realities: "Inversion" (a, with Sal Cipriano and Lou Platania, anthology, Cactus Fusion, 2003)
- AiT/Planet Lar:
- Vampirella Comics Magazine #4: "What Have We Become" (w/a, Harris, 2004)
- Hopeless Savages: B-Sides − The Origin of the Dusted Bunnies (a, with Jen Van Meter, Vera Brosgol and Mike Norton, one-shot, Oni Press, 2005)
- Flight Volume 3: "Conquest" (w/a, anthology graphic novel, 352 pages, Ballantine Books, 2006, ISBN 0-345-49039-8)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula: The Graphic Novel (a, with Gary Reed, graphic novel, 176 pages, Puffin Books, 2006, ISBN 0-14-240572-8)
- East Coast Rising (w/a, graphic novel, 196 pages, Tokyopop, 2006, ISBN 1-59816-468-6)
- Beck, Laura (February 8, 2013). "Meet the First Lady to Draw Batman Since His Inception in 1939". Jezebel.
- "Stats". Estrigious. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "2005 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Irvine, Alex (2008), "American Virgin", in Dougall, Alastair, The Vertigo Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, pp. 22–24, ISBN 0-7566-4122-5, OCLC 213309015
- "Heroes Con: 2011: Becky Cloonan Talks Gerard Way's 'Killjoys'". MTV Geek!. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Becky Cloonan.|
- Official website
- Becky Cloonan's store
- Becky Cloonan's blog
- Becky Cloonan at the Comic Book DB
- Becky Cloonan at DeviantArt
- Becky Cloonan's poster design work