Bed Bath & Beyond
(as Bed 'n Bath)|
Springfield, New Jersey, U.S.
|Headquarters||Union, New Jersey
Number of locations
|1,550 (all divisions)
|Warren Eisenberg (Co-Chairman)
Leonard Feinstein (Co-Chairman)
Steven H. Temares (CEO)
Arthur Stark (President)
|Products||Home furnishings, domestics merchandise|
$ 12.215 billion (FY 2016)
|$ 1.135 billion (FY 2016)|
|$ 685.1 million (FY 2016)|
|Total assets||$ 6.846 billion (FY 2016)|
|Total equity||$ 2.719 billion (FY 2016)|
Number of employees
Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. is an American chain of domestic merchandise retail stores in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico. Founded in 1971, the stores sell home goods primarily for the bedroom and bathroom, as well as kitchen and dining room. The company is included in the S&P 400 and Global 1200 Indices. It is also counted among the Fortune 500 and the Forbes Global 2000 as well.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2013)
In 1971, Warren Eisenberg and Leonard Feinstein opened a store in Springfield, New Jersey called Bed 'n Bath. By 1985, Eisenberg and Feinstein were operating 17 stores in the New York metropolitan area and California. Also in 1985, the first superstore was opened, as an attempt to remain competitive with Linens 'n Things, Pacific Linen, and Luxury Linens. In order to properly represent the size increase in its retail stores, the company changed its name to Bed Bath & Beyond.
Bed Bath and Beyond has several major retail competitors, including Walmart, Target, and JCPenney, as well as several mid-sized competitors like Pier 1 Imports. Companies such as Crate & Barrel, IKEA, and the numerous Williams-Sonoma companies like Pottery Barn and West Elm are competitors as well.
- Harmon Stores – acquired in March 2002, operates Face Values
- Christmas Tree Shops – acquired in June 2003 for $200 million
- Buy Buy Baby – acquired in March 2007 for $67 million
- Cost Plus, Inc. – acquired in May 2012 for $495 million, operates Cost Plus World Market and World Market
- Linen Holdings – acquired in June 2012 for $105 million
- Of a Kind – acquired in August 2015 for an undisclosed amount
- One Kings Lane - acquired in June 2016 for an undisclosed amount
- PersonalizationMall.com - acquired in November 2016 for $190 million.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Canada L.P.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Mexico – a joint venture with Home & More to operate four stores in Mexico under the name "Bed Bath & Beyond"
- Bed Bath & Beyond Invitations – an online wedding invitation venture
New Zealand chain
- Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. Reports Results for Fiscal 2017 Second Quarter
- "Bed Bath & Beyond Inc 2011 Annual Report, Form 10-K, Filing Date Feb 25, 2012" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved June 23, 2012.
- "Bed Bath & Beyond Investor Relations - Investor Overview". Phx.corporate-ir.net. 2012-02-25. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Mexico
- "History of Bed Bath & Beyond Inc". FundingUniverse. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Lillo, Andrea (March 11, 2002). "Bed Bath makes first acquisition with Harmon". Home Textiles Today. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Bed Bath & Beyond Buys Christmas Tree Shops". The New York Times. New York City: The New York Times Company. June 20, 2003. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Mike Cianciolo (March 26, 2007). "buybuy BABY Gets Bought". The Motley Fool. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Hsu, Tiffany (May 9, 2012). "Bed Bath & Beyond to Buy Cost Plus for $495 Million". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles: The Tribune Company. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Dealbook Blog (May 9, 2012). "Bed Bath & Beyond to Buy Cost Plus". The New York Times. New York City: The New York Times Company. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Bed Bath buys Linen Holdings for $105 million". Reuters. London: Thomson Reuters. June 1, 2012. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Brooke, Aliza (August 10, 2015). "Indie Design Retailer Of a Kind Acquired by Bed Bath & Beyond". Fashionista. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- Kapner, Suzanne (June 14, 2016). "Bed Bath & Beyond Buys One Kings Lane for 'Not Material' Price". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Scoops Up Another Online Retailer
- Bed Bath & Beyond Canada L.P. corporate profile, Bloomberg, retrieved 2016-12-13
- "Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. Announces Joint Venture with Home & More, a Home Products Retailer in Mexico". Bed Bath & Beyond. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Bed Bath & Beyond - Frequently asked questions". Retrieved 6 June 2016.