International Sleep Products Association
|Focus||Mattress Industry Advocacy|
|Board of Trustees Chair Bryan Smith President Ryan Trainer|
|National Association of Mattress Manufacturers; National Association of Bedding Manufacturers|
The International Sleep Products Association (ISPA) is a trade association based in Alexandria, Virginia, United States. Its members are mattress manufacturers and mattress industry components suppliers.
Founded as the National Association of Mattress Manufacturers in 1915, the organization renamed itself two years later as the National Association of Bedding Manufacturers. Its goal was to create state tagging laws (see law label) and address the health sanitation issues affecting consumers. The association's name was changed to the International Sleep Products Association (ISPA) in 1987 to reflect acceptance of international members.
ISPA's stated mission has been to lead and advance the interests of the sleep products industry. It works on behalf of the bedding industry on a range of commercial, health, safety and environmental issues, including legislative lobbying at the state and federal level. It also seeks to present a positive image of the sleep products industry to the general public.
ISPA currently represents the sleep products industry and service suppliers around the world. ISPA members range from multinational mattress and sleep products manufacturing companies to small, family-owned operations.
The association provides a range of legislative, informational, and educational services to the mattress industry. Many services are exclusive to ISPA members, others benefit the industry in general as well as the public.
Member support and services
The association's products and services to members and non-members include:
- Services and information designed to assist industry members in reducing bottom-line expenses
- Industry news publications
- Mattress industry statistical information and market intelligence
- Mattress industry advocacy
- Industry education and events
- Networking opportunities
- Consumer outreach and research via the Better Sleep Council
- Other tools and publications for members
- An online ISPA Job Board, which assists member companies in filling job openings
ISPA provides regular and member communications through its website, through its publications BedTimes and Sleep Savvy and their websites, and through a range of social media including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and its Blog - Bedpost.
BedTimes magazine, published monthly, covers mattress industry news for manufacturers and components suppliers. In August 2017, BedTimes marked 100 years of continuous publication with a celebratory feature chock full of industry history and interesting anecdotes.
The BedTimes Supplies Guide is a listing of products and services used in mattress and other sleep products manufacturing.
Sleep Savvy magazine is targeted to mattress retailers. Editorial content centers on tools and information to assist in boosting mattress sales.
ISPA Insider, a weekly industry e-newsletter for members, covers association news, legislative and regulatory issues, meetings and trade show information, and breaking news impacting the mattress industry.
Better Sleep Council (BSC)
Founded by ISPA in 1979, the BSC's stated goal has been to increase mattress sales and shorten the mattress replacement cycle by educating consumers about the importance of sleep to health and quality of life, and that the sleep surface and sleep environment are important contributors to quality of sleep.
The BSC funds regular research studies of consumers to explore attitudes toward mattresses and the shopping experience. Findings assist the BSC in developing its messaging. ISPA membership dues support BSC research and other programs. BSC public relations campaigns aim to keep mattresses top of mind as consumers decide how to spend disposable income. The campaigns target a broad segment of U.S. consumers via print, broadcast and online media.
The BSC's latest example of this is the "Stop Sleeping Around" campaign. Through short videos and other visuals that show consumers sleeping everywhere but their own bed, the campaign reinforces the message that they may need to replace their mattress if they are nodding off during the day because they are not getting 7–8 hours of quality rest on a comfortable, supportive mattress. The campaign advances the BSC’s mission by making the importance of sleep and mattress replacement top of mind in a fun, edgy way.
The annual focal point of the association's public relations campaign is Better Sleep Month (BSM) each May. Media hits for the campaign reach into the millions each year. During BSM, the BSC has used a national spokesperson for a satellite and radio media tour, as well as 30: and 60: “In the Know” news vignettes, which are put on the BSC website.
The BSC has conducted several studies on consumer shopping behavior and the typical mattress replacement cycle. The council takes credit for helping reduce the average mattress replacement cycle from 13-plus years to about 10 years. The BSC sponsored a groundbreaking study conducted by the Oklahoma State University to scientifically evaluate whether a new mattress improves sleep quality and efficiency, while reducing back, spine, shoulder and neck stiffness, thus leading to a more restful night’s sleep. The results were positive. This study is a resource for the BSC’s consumer messaging.
- "About". International Sleep Products Association | ISPA. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "1915-1940: An industry comes together". BedTimes. 2015-02-27. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "The mattress industry and 'the challenge of change'". BedTimes. 2015-08-11. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "ISPA aims to step up pace as advocate of Industry | Furniture Today". www.furnituretoday.com. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "ISPA Announces Product Safety Course." Home Furnishings Business. Aug. 2, 2011. Retrieved 2011-9-8.
- "Mattress Sales Jump in February." Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine Home Furnishings News. March 29, 2010. Retrieved 2011-9-8.
- "BedPost Blog — An insomniac's guide to pointless trivia on mattresses and sleep". www.bedpostblog.com. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "About BedTimes magazine". BedTimes. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "BedTimes Magazine, a Trade Publication Devoted to the Production of Mattresses, Celebrates 100 Years". Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "BSC builds on quarter century of PR to move industry forward". BedTimes. 2004-09-01. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "New mattress can keep zombies at bay, says Better Sleep Council | Furniture Today". www.furnituretoday.com. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- Jacobson, Bert. "Study shows wealth of health benefits New mattress reduces pain & stiffness; improves sleep Archived 2012-03-31 at the Wayback Machine." BedTimes Magazine. June 2007. Retrieved 2011-9-8.