Bed of Roses (Bon Jovi song)
|"Bed of Roses"|
|Single by Bon Jovi|
|from the album Keep the Faith|
|Released||January 26, 1993|
|Length||6:33 (Album Version)  5:05 (Edited Version) |
|Songwriter(s)||Jon Bon Jovi|
|Bon Jovi singles chronology|
|Bed of Roses at YouTube.com|
"Bed of Roses" is a song by American rock band Bon Jovi, first appearing in 1992 on the album Keep the Faith, then released as a single in late January 1993. Jon Bon Jovi wrote the song in a hotel room while suffering from a hangover and the lyrics reflect his feelings at the time. The song contains drawn out guitar riffs and soft piano playing, along with emotive and high vocals by Jon Bon Jovi.
The song's power ballad style made it a worldwide hit, and it demonstrated the band's new, more mature sound after their success as a glam metal band in the 1980s. The single reached number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, number 5 on the top 40 mainstream, number 13 in the UK Top 40, and number 10 in the German Top 100.
A Spanish version, Cama de Rosas, was also recorded.
The video for "Bed of Roses" begins with shots of Richie Sambora playing guitar high in the mountain tops, and then cuts to scenes of Jon alone in his hotel room, the band recording the song in the studio, and finally performing live on stage. Initially the video directors wanted Jon Bon Jovi to be on the mountain tops, but Jon said: "I was on top of a mountain in 'Blaze of Glory', send them" (Richie Sambora and David Bryan, who is seen playing the piano at the mountain top).
The live portions were filmed at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on December 31, 1992 as part of a special 1993's New Year's Eve concert. In order to get the liveliest and largest crowd there for the video, the band made arrangements to have no floor seating, and to have one price, general admission tickets.
Charts and certifications
"Bed of Roses" became a staple on Bon Jovi setlists for years to come, and was featured on the band's Cross Road greatest hits album, and in acoustic style on This Left Feels Right. A live performance can be viewed on the Crush Tour DVD. A version with lyrics in Spanish was also recorded, entitled "Cama De Rosas".
The song was also recorded by the hard rock band Hinder as a bonus track of the Wal-Mart re-release of their debut album, Extreme Behavior. Toše Proeski covered this song during his concerts and on his posthumous 2011 album S ljubavlju od Toseta. American country singer Cassadee Pope covered this song during her 2014 concert tour.
- "Chart Data: Bon Jovi". Worldwide chart positions. Archived from the original on 10 November 2006. Retrieved December 3, 2006.
- "Cross Road by Bon Jovi on Apple Music". iTunes.
- "Allmusic (Bon Jovi charts & awards) Billboard singles".
- "Australian-charts.com – Bon Jovi – Bed Of Roses". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Ultratop.be – Bon Jovi – Bed Of Roses" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 1765." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Lescharts.com – Bon Jovi – Bed Of Roses" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Bon Jovi – Bed of Roses". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- "Íslenski Listinn Topp 40 (19.–25. Mars 1993)" (PDF). Dagblaðið Vísir (in Icelandic). Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Bed Of Roses". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 20, 1993" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Bon Jovi – Bed Of Roses" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Charts.nz – Bon Jovi – Bed Of Roses". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bon Jovi – Bed Of Roses". Singles Top 100. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bon Jovi – Bed Of Roses". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Bon Jovi Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Bon Jovi Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "1993 ARIA Singles Chart". ARIA. Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- "The RPM Top 100 Hit Tracks of 1993". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- "Top 100 Singles – Jahrescharts 1993" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- "Jaaroverzichten – Single 1993" (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 1993" (in German). Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1993". Archived from the original on November 10, 2006. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- "British single certifications – Bon Jovi – Bed of Roses". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved May 30, 2019. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Bed of Roses in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.