Bedford High School (Ohio)
|Bedford High School|
|481 Northfield Road
Bedford, Ohio 44146
|School district||Bedford City School District|
|Color(s)||Green and white
|Athletics conference||Lake Erie League|
|Accreditation||Ohio Department of Education|
Bedford High School is neighbors with St. Peter Chanel High School. With both schools winning championships in sports, The city of Bedford renamed a portion of Northfield Road the "Avenue of Champions". Both schools were under construction at the same time in the 1950s.
Bedford High School was erected in 1955-57, it is built in Norman Brick-style architecture with limestone and cost $2.1 million. The Bedford Board of Education Building at 475 Northfield Road was built on the campus in 1961 and two wings were added to the high school in 1971. They are connected to the rest of the building by two glass-enclosed walkways. The school's current football facility, Bearcat Stadium, opened in 1994.
The school once served as a potential nuclear fallout shelter. A fallout shelter sign is still visible at the front of the school building. Several underground passages exist at the school that would have served to shield the public in the event of nuclear attack.
- Halle Berry, actress (class of 1984)
- Eric Beverly, professional football player in the National Football League (NFL) (class of 1992)
- Chris Chambers, NFL player (class of 1997)
- George Alec Effinger, a science fiction writer (class of 1965)
- Lee Evans, professional football player in the NFL (class of 1999)
- Elmer Flick, professional baseball player in Major League Baseball (MLB) and 1963 inductee into the National Baseball Hall of Fame
- Tyvis Powell, professional football player in the NFL
- Toby Radloff, a minor celebrity owing to his appearances in Cleveland writer Harvey Pekar’s autobiographical comic book American Splendor
- Jim Rittwage, professional baseball player in MLB
- Rodger Saffold, professional football player in the NFL (c/o 2006)
- Mary Ellen Weber, NASA astronaut (class of 1980)
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- BHS. "About Bedford High School". Bedford High School website. Archived from the original on 19 December 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Wrestling". Archived from the original on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-23.