|Manufacturer||Bedford (General Motors)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||flatbed, tanker|
|Layout||Longitudinal front engine,|
rear-wheel drive (2x4)
|Engine||3.5 L 72 bhp I6 petrol|
|Length||6.22 m (245 inches)|
|Width||2.18 m (86 inches)|
|Height||3.09 m (122 inches)|
|Kerb weight||6,568 kg (14,450 lb.)|
The Bedford OY is an army lorry (truck) built by Bedford for the British Armed Forces and introduced in 1939. It was based on Bedford's O-series commercial vehicles with a modified front end and single rear tyres. It was designed for a 3-ton payload. The OYD was a general service vehicle, while the OYC was a tanker version for carrying water or petrol. These vehicles were widely used during, and after, World War II but were later superseded by the Bedford RL.
- Engine: Bedford 6-cylinder, type WD, 3,519 cc (214 cubic inches) displacement, liquid cooled
- Horsepower: 72 at 3,000 rpm
- Transmission: 4-speed
- Transfer box: None
- Electrical system: 12 volt
- Brakes: Hydraulic with vacuum servo assistance
- Tyres: 10.50 - 16
- Fuel type: Petrol
- Fuel capacity: 145 litres (32 gallons)
- Range: 450 km (280 miles)
- Maximum speed: about 65 km/h (40 mph)
The OX was a short-wheelbase version of the OY, designed for a 30 cwt (1.5 ton) payload. The OXD was a general service vehicle, while the OXC was designed, in association with Scammell, for use with a semi-trailer. There was also an armoured version, the Bedford OXA.
Models of the Bedford OX and OY are available from several companies, including Milicast and Skytrex., and in 1/285 scale by the US manufacturer www.ghqmodels.com, distributed in the UK by www.magistermilitum.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
- "Bedford OY-series - Danish Army Vehicles Homepage". Armyvehicles.dk. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "THE BEDFORD AND THE SC/ 4MELL PROVE WELL MATED | 10th March 1939 | The Commercial Motor Archive". Archive.commercialmotor.com. 10 March 1939. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Milicast Model Company :: Premiere Range (1/76-20mm) :: British & Commonwealth :: Softskins :: Bedford OX-D 30cwt GS Truck (Later)". Milicast.com. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Milicast Model Company :: Premiere Range (1/76-20mm) :: British & Commonwealth :: Softskins :: Bedford OY-D 3ton GS Truck (Late)". Milicast.com. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "20mm British". Skytrex.com. Retrieved 29 November 2012.[permanent dead link]
|This truck-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|