Bedford Park Boulevard–Lehman College (IRT Jerome Avenue Line)
Bedford Park Boulevard–Lehman College
|New York City Subway rapid transit station|
|Address||Bedford Park Boulevard (200th Street) & Jerome Avenue
Bronx, NY 10468
|Line||IRT Jerome Avenue Line|
|Services||4 (all times)|
|Transit connections|| NYCT Bus: Bx10, Bx26, Bx28
Bee-Line Bus: 4, 20, 21
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Tracks||3 (2 in regular service)|
|Opened||April 15, 1918|
|Former/other names||Bedford Park Boulevard–200th Street|
|Passengers (2015)||1,863,892 2%|
|Rank||259 out of 425|
|Next north||Mosholu Parkway: 4|
|Next south||Kingsbridge Road: 4|
Bedford Park Boulevard–Lehman College (formerly Bedford Park Boulevard–200th Street) is a local station on the IRT Jerome Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of Bedford Park Boulevard (formerly 200th Street) and Jerome Avenue in the Bronx, it is served by the 4 train at all times.
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Northbound local||← toward Woodlawn (Mosholu Parkway)|
|Peak-direction express||→ No regular service|
|Southbound local||→ toward Crown Heights–Utica Avenue (New Lots Avenue late nights) (Kingsbridge Road) →|
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|M||Mezzanine||to entrances/exits, station agent, MetroCard vending machines
The station has three tracks and two side platforms. The middle track is generally not used in revenue service. Bedford Park Boulevard–200th Street station was originally built on April 15, 1918 as part of the final extension of the IRT Jerome Avenue Line to Woodlawn.
The Jerome Yard/Concourse Yard complex is located on the west of the station. The track connections to Jerome Yard are at the north end. Concourse Yard has a single track connected to the southbound local; south of the station. The Concourse Yard serves as one of the few interconnections between the IRT and IND divisions.
This station was renovated in the Summer–Fall 2006. During this time, the street level mezzanine area and the platforms were renovated. The platforms had yellow tactile edge warning strips installed, and the IRT directional tablets inside fare control have been preserved. Until the 2006 renovation, the downtown platform had several old small 200 signs behind a chain-link fence toward the front of the platform; however, they were removed.
It was also, until renovations in 2006, the only station in the entire subway system and along the IRT Jerome Avenue Line to have a barbed wire fence to be added to the Manhattan bound platform; this was added in an earlier renovation from the 80s that was meant to repair the New York City Subway stations and to prevent graffiti artists from tagging the 4 train, which has its home in the Mosholu Yard; the barbed wire fence was completely removed from the Manhattan bound platform during renovations.
From October 26, 2009 to December 11, 2009, a pilot program had five southbound 4 trains running express in the AM rush hour. Although Bedford Park Boulevard is not designed as an express station, the trains used a switch for the express track south of the station.
The station building is at street level with the tracks above the building due to the street layout. The station has a brick mezzanine and stairway walls with "BPB" and restroom mosaics in the station house. A storeroom is located on the landing of the stairs to the platforms. Walking to the east connects to the New York Botanical Garden and a Metro-North Railroad station of the same name, and walking to the west around the yard complex connects to Lehman College and the Bronx High School of Science.
Nearby points of interest
- Bronx High School of Science
- Lehman College
- High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- New York Botanical Garden
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Jerome Av. Line Ordered Opened.". query.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Second Pilot Program of Bronx Express Service Along the Jerome Ave. 4 Line Set to Begin" (Press release). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2009-10-22. Archived from the original on 24 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Van Cortlandt Park / NY Botanical Garden" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Media related to Bedford Park Boulevard – Lehman College (IRT Jerome Avenue Line) at Wikimedia Commons
- nycsubway.org – IRT Woodlawn Line: Bedford Park Boulevard
- nycsubway.org — Community Garden Artwork by Andrea Dezsö (2006)
- Station Reporter — 4 Train
- The Subway Nut — Bedford Park Boulevard–Lehman College Pictures
- MTA's Arts For Transit — Bedford Park Boulevard–Lehman College (IRT Jerome Avenue Line)
- Bedford Park Boulevard entrance from Google Maps Street View